ready to split logs.

william petts

Hi guys, I was wondering do you think there would be amy interest in people, maily those who do their own firewood, buying transit loads of ready to split logs, e.g all logs ill be rung up at lengths between 6-12", but most will be around 8-10" as thats the length we sell most of.

It would be a big of hard and soft wood that would be green although there may also be a micture of seasoned and un seasoned in there.

Asfor price it would obviously be easier for those to collect but was weighing up weather to offer delivery or not, as im only 18 I don't drive a truck so it may not be worth my while to deliver.

So prices: what do you think???

This is only at an infant stage, its just that we may find ourselves with too much wood.

I thought it may be a good idea to sell it like this as all you have to do is split it which in my opinion is the easier part.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just split a few tonnes of "free" wood, the cost of the splitter hire/fuel, plus the cash I gave someone to help, made it not much cheaper than buying split logs already. I think you'll find that the actual cost of the wood is pretty low in comparison to the handling costs

Try it is the only way to find out. However speaking as someone that collects arb waste wood for free, a mix of rounds that just need splitting and smaller diameter stuff in 2'6" ish lengths that just needs cutting with the ms180, I realise I work hard for very little saving and the price of fully processed seasoned logs delivered to the door is very very reasonable. I quite enjoy the exercise and time spent in the garden though... Running the saw and swinging the fiskars is a nice way for an office worker like me to spend some time. Were you near me..... Maybe I'd buy your ready-2-split if I hadn't already got a chainsaw, but I'd not pay a lot for this half way product... £15/m3 delivered. Which must mean there will be nothing in it for you bar shifting the arb waste for free. Give it a little try though, a maul, wedges and sledge is cheap to buy a chainsaw and ppe a bit more, so some guys might like it.

I used to do it on eBay, I filled one of those crates landscapers get their stones in and sold it as unseasoned and ready to split firewood, did it as collection only and worked quite well until all the locals were stocked up.

One guy travelled from somewhere ridiculous, Devon I think (I'm in Surrey) for a load of oak that was standing dead when I took it down and took about a ton in his hatchback, that prob would have gone well in the overloaded thread.

Think I averaged £20 a crate.

Like I said this is just an idea that popped into my head, say a transit load of wood produces around 3-4 vube (would that be a fair estimate) all the person who buys it has to do is split it, I normally split with an axe a truck load in probably 3hrs, and with a splitter abit quicker.

So what would you guys pay for a load.

I think to make it viable I would need to say deliver in bulk I.e 5 loads per guy, should easily deliver 5 loads a day. Obviously traffic etc etc etc depending