Switching to Aspen!!!!

dirtybiker

Hi all.

Sure this has been covered before but as I only use my saws occasionally mostly for firewood etc. I was thinking it would make sense to go over to Aspen as I understand that the fuel can sit in the tank for long periods without going off!

My question is do I have to prepare my machines in any special way to go over to Aspen. For instance tuning them differently ?

Obviously I will completely drain old petrol out before refilling.

I have a new Dolmar 420 from Shavey and an Echo Cs350WES that I've just completely rebuilt (new barrel and piston), so now would be a good time to switch over.

Cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

Sure this has been covered before but as I only use my saws occasionally mostly for firewood etc. I was thinking it would make sense to go over to Aspen as I understand that the fuel can sit in the tank for long periods without going off!

My question is do I have to prepare my machines in any special way to go over to Aspen. For instance tuning them differently ?

Obviously I will completely drain old petrol out before refilling.

I have a new Dolmar 420 from Shavey and an Echo Cs350WES that I've just completely rebuilt (new barrel and piston), so now would be a good time to switch over.

Cheers

Hi MATE JUST run with aspen or Steve he your man thanks Jon

Hi MATE JUST run with aspen or Steve he your man thanks Jon

I think a translation of Mendips reply might be:

'Just run with Aspen and you shouldn't need to retune.

If you have any problems, Steve aka Spudulike can help.

All the best

Jon'.

But it's anyone's guess really!

Lol!

I think a translation of Mendips reply might be:

'Just run with Aspen and you shouldn't need to retune.

If you have any problems, Steve aka Spudulike can help.

All the best

Jon'.

But it's anyone's guess really!

Lol!

Wow!

Glad someone is fluent in the ancient dialect of 'mendip logs'!

Thought I was gonna have to reach for google translate 😀😀😀😀

I have a large array of old saws, most of them really old, all secondhand. I literally just chucked in Aspen instead of pump fuel, in some cases on top of pump fuel (not old and stale, just what was in there when I picked it up and it was demonstrated) and away I went. I have had to rebuild two carbs and replace a fuel pipe when they went brittle, but otherwise nothing, not even a retune. I am fairly near Spud and he has checked several of mine after switching and none of them have even needed tweaking on the screws.

Just been milling this morning with the 090 which runs on Aspen - a much more pleasant experience than pump fuel would have been.

Alec

I have a large array of old saws, most of them really old, all secondhand. I literally just chucked in Aspen instead of pump fuel, in some cases on top of pump fuel (not old and stale, just what was in there when I picked it up and it was demonstrated) and away I went. I have had to rebuild two carbs and replace a fuel pipe when they went brittle, but otherwise nothing, not even a retune. I am fairly near Spud and he has checked several of mine after switching and none of them have even needed tweaking on the screws.

Just been milling this morning with the 090 which runs on Aspen - a much more pleasant experience than pump fuel would have been.

Alec

Cheers Alec.

Think that's a done deal then, will probably have to run the rebuilt Echo up to spud for a set up after the rebuild.

Where do you source your Aspen Alec? Think the nearest place to me (Felsted)is

Ernest Doe in Braintree!

Jez

Filled most of my saws strimmers and hedge cutter with aspen before the winter. Sub 35cc seemed to need a 1/4 turn of the L screw but my 40 to 60cc seemed fine as they were. I don't know wether that's the luck of the draw or a general trend. The only problem was with my MS211 which needed a tweak on the L then seemed fine, however I picked it up a few months later to finish a job rather than mix more petrol oil and it was down on power. Not had a look yet, might try a fraction on the H screw as a start.

Cheers Alec.

Think that's a done deal then, will probably have to run the rebuilt Echo up to spud for a set up after the rebuild.

Where do you source your Aspen Alec? Think the nearest place to me (Felsted)is

Ernest Doe in Braintree!

Jez

I managed to get a bit knocked off the price at the Ulting branch for buying 5 cans at a time. I've switched over to using it in all my machines and feel much better at the end of the day for it, plus I don't get told I stink of 2 stroke when I get home. :thumbup1:

You tend to find that with Aspen you need a tweak anticlockwise on the L screw otherwise you can get a bit of bogging - my take on this is that it just burns slower than petrol hence the need for a little more fuel on the low screw.

If the machine has run pump fuel for a year or more, you may find that you get fuel leaks where the fuel line seals on the fuel tank also the diaphragms can go hard.

Probably best to do the change, see if the machine plays up and if it does and a carb tweak doesn't work then just change diaphragms, fuel line and clean the carb with carb cleaner and try again.

If the carb has an accelerator pump then I would change the O ring but that can be a real job!