Green elm

Johnpl315

I potentially have some elm to mill out. Can anyone tell me what I should be paying per hoppus foot for it?

I have no way of drying or planing/levelling the planks I mill. I generally mill oak and sell as green oak. Will the elm sell this way and what's it likely to go for per cubic foot?

Thanks for any advice.

John

Hi John,

Big J sells a lot of elm, both green and seasoned, indicating that decent stuff will sell. The price to pay and the price you can sell for will depend a lot on quality/colour. Elm can be very pale, fairly straight grained and dull, through to richly coloured with curling, wavy grain and burring.

Alec

Elm of any quality sells really. I usually work on the basis of making £4 a hoppus on green timber sales, £10 a cubic foot (not including wastage for drying cracks/defects) and £18 on kiln dried timber (again not including drying wastage). So your end price can be quite dependent on your start price!