factory recall on transit pistons

GardenKit

I had a chance meeting with fellow arbtalker, Wiscobandit, today. He was in a new van so I asked what had happened to his 13 plate transit.

It seems the engine failed due to cracked pistons, The Ford dealer told him there had been a recall notice but it seems he had been missed.

I have a 12 plate, so I called the ford dealer and mentioned that I had heard there was a recall.

They said"yes, yours is overdue for new pistons, and a recall for a new oil pump too"

I asked if they normally recall them as a matter of course. They said they do, but I must have been missed. Its now booked in for next week.

So if you have a 2006 onwards Tranny, check with your dealer, or on the Ford website under recalls. May save you some hassle.

Thanks Wisco, for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe ford are notifying anyone. I believe they are taking the stance that its cheaper to repair the odd van that goes bang and it a replacement engine than to recall all the transits involved and fit new pistons etc.

As Barry suggest its worth checking for the sake of a phonecall to the main dealer.

Had mine done today Martin.

2 recalls, one for the oil pump replacement, which was done.

The other one was called 'pistons, puma engine' but actually was not replacement of the pistons at all, but in fact was a software update to vary the injection point and take the hot spots off the pistons to prevent cracking.

I took the van in at 7.30 and had a call at midday to say it was ready.

Great fun getting through Marsh Barton at the moment!

Had mine done today Martin.

2 recalls, one for the oil pump replacement, which was done.

The other one was called 'pistons, puma engine' but actually was not replacement of the pistons at all, but in fact was a software update to vary the injection point and take the hot spots off the pistons to prevent cracking.

I took the van in at 7.30 and had a call at midday to say it was ready.

Great fun getting through Marsh Barton at the moment!

Did it feel any different to drive Barry? I always found mine a little sluggish down low but responded better once on the move.

As we spoke about the new transit I have certainly responds better low down but maybe a bit less top end power. I put it down to maybe a smaller turbo on the newer version but maybe the fuelling mapping being out could cause a similar issue,

Yeah it was manic down there the week before but they then decide to add more roadworks on the swingbridge just to make matters worse.

On Fridays now the kids are off Fridays are definetly the day to stay away from there at the moment.

It there a recall or the same problem with the 2.2 puma defender then?

Its certainly worth a phonecall to double check to your dealer.

If its a fuel mapping issue chances are that landrover will be using a different ecu and mapping system. HOWEVER that doesn't mean to say that the oil pump side of the recall wont include your vehicle.