Tpo causing issues

simonm

A site where we have done some work at before has a tpo'd horse chestnut right next to the building, building being a hotel, the hotel are wanting to take the tree down as they say the rooms around it are less desirable as they are dark and the tree blocks views from the guest rooms. The council has rejected crown lifting and 15% crown thin and have gave consent for 10%! this wont rectify any of the problems they are having with the tree. Tree is perfectly healthy and it would be a shame to lose it however their is acres of room around the hotel grounds to fell and re plant in a more suitable place. At what point does the T O say yes your loosing business because of the tree and their is no amount of pruning will rectify the situation i give consent to fell & replant? or am i fighting a loosing battle?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My immediate reaction to your post is who on earth is going to be able to tell difference between 10 and 15% and what the hell difference does it make. Tree will put it all back on again within a coupla' years.

Is this a TO saying this or a planning officer?

If the hotel want to fell it, why was the application only for a crown lift and thin?

Perhaps make an application to fell the tree and re-plant a number of trees in appropriate locations in the grounds? If it's refused, appeal the decision and see if a planning inspector views the situation differently.

My immediate reaction to your post is who on earth is going to be able to tell difference between 10 and 15% and what the hell difference does it make. Tree will put it all back on again within a coupla' years.

Is this a TO saying this or a planning officer?

My thoughts as well but also why was 15% applied for they should of applied for maybe 45% then it would give a better result.

If the tree was there before the hotel.....tough titties and boo hoo to the owners....

Seems more like a rubbish excuse to fell a perfectly healthy tree, sometimes as 'professionals' it's incumbent on us to act like professionals and advise accordingly.

If the tree was there before the hotel.....tough titties and boo hoo to the owners....

Seems more like a rubbish excuse to fell a perfectly healthy tree, sometimes as 'professionals' it's incumbent on us to act like professionals and advise accordingly.

Or perhaps act like a professional and look out for your clients interests,,,,

I have dealt with 3 separate people from the hotel, 1 of them worked there and didn't seem to know much about it! the other told me they wanted it "tidied up" considering the circumstances i applied for a 15% crown thin, crown lift to 3.5 meters & draw back from building by 2m, which would of "tidied it up" let more light through and lifted it away from the building! then the owner jumped on board and told me about the problems they were having, in all honesty i wouldn't want it where it is, its huge, bird **** all around it, its the first thing you see when you walk up the drive, the only pruning that will rectify the situation is where the 660 goes through at ground level :thumbup:

Surely if a tree is causing you to loose custom and you are willing to re plant whats the issue? i often feel trying to please the client and the TO is like fighting a loosing battle :001_huh::001_huh:

I have dealt with 3 separate people from the hotel, 1 of them worked there and didn't seem to know much about it! the other told me they wanted it "tidied up" considering the circumstances i applied for a 15% crown thin, crown lift to 3.5 meters & draw back from building by 2m, which would of "tidied it up" let more light through and lifted it away from the building! then the owner jumped on board and told me about the problems they were having, in all honesty i wouldn't want it where it is, its huge, bird **** all around it, its the first thing you see when you walk up the drive, the only pruning that will rectify the situation is where the 660 goes through at ground level :thumbup:

Surely if a tree is causing you to loose custom and you are willing to re plant whats the issue? i often feel trying to please the client and the TO is like fighting a loosing battle :001_huh::001_huh:

Not for the Arb nazis! I've never really understood the rationale about "if the tree was there before the house"

I think some lecturers were spouting that stuff at college when I was there.