Echo CS-390esx

jonperry

Hi. My old Husquvarna 136 has given up the ghost. It was several years old and I only used it for domestic stuff - probably cutting a couple of tonnes of logs each year. I've recently started working as a self-employed gardener and I'm having to use a chainsaw more often. Nothing particularly heavy going, just (for me) quite frequent - about an hour a week on average I suppose. Consequently I am thinking of buying a new saw.

I thought the new CS-390ESX from Echo looked pretty good as it has a magnesium body and seems to be quite powerful for the weight. It is about £380. Do you think this is over the top for my needs, or would it be a good investment and last a long time? There don't seem to be any reviews of it at the moment.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon

Echo CS-390ESX Rear Handle Chainsaw

Sawtroll will be along imminently to tell you that they are boat anchors that handle like ten ton turkeys. What he will never accept or admit is that they have the finest Jap 2 strokes, lovely balance and good reliability. Love em.:thumbup:

The model you refer to is of Shindaiwa origin albeit with a smaller motor from Kioritz which will doubtless run in to be an absolute peach, more than capable of port work should you so desire.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

• 9 months later...

Chuffed to bits with my CS-390ESX. Good power to weight ratio, easy to start, easy access air filter and chain tension screw. Plus, for the price, it was the only machine I came across with an adjustable, and clutch driven oil pump (it only pumps oil when the chain is running). Big advantage over my Husky, which pumped more oil than a Texan oilfield. The internal clutch makes cleaning easier, but like many, it still has a myriad of nooks and crannies that collect chippings and sawdust. Currently, my only criticism is that there is only one sighting mark. I know I can draw them on, but nothing I've tried seems to last.

For a saw of its cc, weight and price it punches way above its weight. They do take a while to loosen up (about a gallon of fuel) but after that it will hold its own against any comparable saw from stihl or husky.

image.jpg.97ade68b4591565cd819561b96f72a9f.jpg

Here is mine having just happily knocked down a 13 inch chestnut 👍🏻😃