Tree Survey, Arb Impact Appraisal and Method Statement

I have been asked to quote for a Tree Survey, Arb Impact Appraisal and Arb Method Statement as it has been requested by the LPA as part of a an agricultural building planning application.

I covered these briefly during my FdSc Arb but not in enough depth to be confident in them. I was wondering whether (If I successfully get the job) it is feasible that I can teach myself how to do these as there are plenty of examples on the interent and I have a copy of BS5837:2012 or whether I should just sub it out to somebody else and try and be on site to learn from them. Part of me thinks if I don't have a go, I will never make this step but on the other hand, I need to produce something utpo the required standard.

What do those that carry out these types of surveys think? I have carried out many tree hazard evaluation surveys over the last 5 years for large estates, land agents and private clients and have 10 years experience in the industry and have a theoretical background gained from the an RFS Cert Arb, the Professional Tree Inspectors Cert and the FdSc Arb. One of my worries is that I have no software to complete a Root Protection Area plan. Are any free or cheap downloadable software available?

Any advice would be appreciated. I know you can't say whether I would be able to do these surveys without knowing me but hopefully I have given enough detail to allow arbtalkers to offer their opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course learning from someone with lots of experience is best, but if you have surveying experience, a copy of the standard and some copies of other people's reports why not give it a go? It depends if its a complex site - some can be pretty straightforward.

If it's not too urgent, I could do the CAD plan for you if you send me an annotated site plan and the tree survey info (for a fee!).

Also, the plan doesn't have to be CAD. So long as you have a decent topo plan, you can use a set of compasses to show the RPA. It may not look slick but if it shows all the relevant information it'll pass muster.

Clearly, if Mr Barton can do it for you, ask his fee, add a percentage and invoice the client.

BS5837 says the output needs to be by an arboriculturist, as defined in the BS. Something like 'someone who through training, experience and qualifications is knowledgeable in the field of trees in relation to buildings'. The survey is easy-ish (although the risk surveys you have done will not be ideal experience), it is the classification that can be tricky until you have a good few trees and have got comfortable with deciding borderline and unusual situations.

It shouldn't be a test of computer adeptness. Making the right judgements about trees and situations is of primary importance. Representing this information on plans is a consequence of this, but some think it's all about producing pretty plans. Obviously if the contract spec says you need to portray RPAs and CEZs on a CAD layer then you must tackle that aspect right away. That will take care of the prettiness.

But the AIA can be a bit trickier, especially if something unusual crops up. Same goes for the AMS. I have never ever produced a standard report. Clients won't stand for the expense implications of needless standard clauses. Nor will Councils stand for blatant blagging. it's a fine line to keep everyone happy sometimes.

If it was me (and it was, once) I'd assist on the first one. Unless and until you can tick the box of the 'arboriculturist' definition in the BS. Most COuncils don't seem to question the report writer's credentials but a few do. It would be horrible of the survey etc. was just a shelf-filling, box-ticking expense-inducing formality required to support a planning application. It's much more interesting when it's not, when you need to be on your toes because it needs to be absolutely right, with your name, reputation and PI cover behind it.

I really don't prescribe to the 'have a go' approach if it involves copying found reports. I'd say have a go but be professional enough to call for help if it gets too 'heavy', or with the bits you know you're not up to yet. And be wary, I have seen some reports by fairly eminent arbs on the internet that on closer inspection are worthless, fee-farming, rubbish that I would be embarrased to put my name to.

But the whole industry, like every other industry, operates in the zone between getting away with it and doing it right. I'd say start as you mean to go on.

Hi Alan,

I would second what Jules and Paul are saying and no I just wouldn't take a punt. 5837 is probably the most demanding report you will write, the only other one on that level would be for subsidence in my opinion.

Tree life run a one day course on 5837 which may be useful. As a brief overview the:

1. Tree survey is pretty straight forward apart from the retention category bit.

2. The AIA is, the impact of the development on trees and vice versa. For example. The impact of tree losses, the impact of tree pruning, the impact of hard surfaces, the effect the trees will have on the finished site through shading, seasonal nuisance, the potential for direct damage, etc.

3. The AMS. Should be written as a specification. i.e. this is what we will be doing, not we recommend this. For example. Tree protection barriers shall be installed in positions as identified on the TPP and in accordance with the specification in appendix 3. Not, it is recommended that barriers are ..... Wholly specifications can be a problem for council legal departments so tree officers may object.

You don't always need an AMS, only if the AIA demonstrates that you do. For this reason the AIA should conclude with issues to be addressed by the AMS and a draft TPP. That said some councils will still ask. They all seem to treat it differently in my experience.

How many trees are there on the site?

It would be worth getting into if you can. 5837 probably forms about 80% of my work.

Good point from Jules about relying on other peoples reports for guidance. Be very cautious about that. Perhaps let them help you set out the headings and sub-headings, but after that write everything as site specifically as you can.

Spot on. I've seen reports when working in a planning office that are 20 pages long. The first 15 generic padding explaining what the BS is, (the TO will already now this so don't go over the op, it will annoy the LPA). A brief description in the scope should be enough in my view. The next 2 are site specific (which is a joke), then the appendices also generic apart from the tree survey. I've seen impact assessments that are half a page long or even not present. Not a good approach. The report should take a few hours to write. I've heard consultants say they can write one in an hour. Not if you are doing it properly.

Do a good job and you will get repeat work. And be honest. If there is an impact say so. Don't say there isn't just because that is what the client wants. You will be asked to do this from time to time. It not as if the TO wont notice so just explain that.

Spot on. I've seen reports when working in a planning office that are 20 pages long. The first 15 generic padding explaining what the BS is, (the TO will already now this so don't go over the op, it will annoy the LPA). A brief description in the scope should be enough in my view.

Ah, but these reports aren't just written for the benefit of tree officers are they?!

I do include some background info about the BS and the principles that guide the report, because I want my client to have a good understanding of the situation as well as the TO. Often clients are bewildered by the need for all this tree advice so I like to explain it to them in the report they've had to commission and pay for.

I do agree with you though Chris, it's good to cut out as much waffle as possible. I keep thinking about writing some better informative appendices so that the main report can be more concise.

Ah, but these reports aren't just written for the benefit of tree officers are they?!

I do include some background info about the BS and the principles that guide the report, because I want my client to have a good understanding of the situation as well as the TO. Often clients are bewildered by the need for all this tree advice so I like to explain it to them in the report they've had to commission and pay for.

I do agree with you though Chris, it's good to cut out as much waffle as possible. I keep thinking about writing some better informative appendices so that the main report can be more concise.

And, the document forms part of the site information. As such, even if they pay little or no heed to it, as is often the case, the site manager and all contractors should be aware of and informed about the requirement for tree protection/retention and how any activities that contravene the AMS impacts on the trees and thus upsetting the TO.