Convert a MS181 vs a MSA 200. What do you think?

rachelroots

Hi, I'm saving up my pennys and my budget is around the £300 at the moment. I'm ready for a carving bar. Do I Convert my sthil MS 181 and change the sprocket and get a 12" carving bar and chain- cost £100-£120, leaving me a saw down.I will then buy a second hand saw with what money I have left. Don't think I'll want to keep changing the sprocket every day as those c clips jump about everywhere! Or do I buy a second saw? I've had a shot on a new MSA 200. They are around £250. I was well impressed! I thought a battery chainsaw would need charging every 5 min and have no power but I was surprised. They arn't a replacement for a normal saw but handy for light ground work. Carving bar is standard on these saws. What do you think I should do?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rachel when crunching the numbers it would be worth taking into account the cost of a replacement battery. The battery will only last a certain number of charge/discharge cycles and they are not cheap. Batteries also tend to lose capacity as they age i.e. the run time on a full charge is likely to decrease as the battery ages whereas a petrol saw should have the same run time per tank full. I don't know how relevant these points are to you but perhaps worth considering. I guess another point to consider is that with an electric saw you could use that inside a building and I would assume that the electric saw would be quieter so more scope to use in more populated areas without annoying those nearby.

Hi Rachel when crunching the numbers it would be worth taking into account the cost of a replacement battery. The battery will only last a certain number of charge/discharge cycles and they are not cheap. Batteries also tend to lose capacity as they age i.e. the run time on a full charge is likely to decrease as the battery ages whereas a petrol saw should have the same run time per tank full. I don't know how relevant these points are to you but perhaps worth considering. I guess another point to consider is that with an electric saw you could use that inside a building and I would assume that the electric saw would be quieter so more scope to use in more populated areas without annoying those nearby.

Those are both very good points I hadn't considered. I'm probably not going to go far wrong what ever I decide. Indoor chainsawing does sound good, and also I plan to do the odd carving demo in the summer so battery may be better on the ears of spectators!

I reckon with those two you're going to want a bigger saw pretty soon!

I'd get a 50cc saw to go with her 181. Not that much heavier, and will take 13" up to 20" (with patience), meaning that you'll be able to tackle pretty much anything that comes your way.

Bit more money spent but far more future proof and I hear you're earning heaps of money these days anyway :-) !

DSC_0148.jpg.652f5e005df6bd7035d8decc55d54328.jpg

I got asked to fell an Ash earlier this year, the first job where I was felling something on my own- bit like the first drive after your driving test. It was a bit big for my saw so I borrowed an old Husky with an 18" bar. Obviously the Swedish made saw made light work of the Ash, even if the bar could have done with being a touch bigger. I sat my wee MS with her 12" bar on top for the hero shot as there was one one to take a photo of me next to the stump. MS did do the majority of the sned and cross-cut:thumbup1: so should take some credit but really I need a bigger saw, you are right again Daniel.