flapper wheel - large

Ianw6522

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proffessional version of what you are looking for is called a sand-o-flex. They are not cheep (about £35 from Sand-O-Flex). The refils are a tad pricey but I bought a roll of 20m or so of the abrasive stuff from Germany (cant remember exactly where from but i could look it up if you need_ and you make your own refils with a bit of box-section steel. Well worth the money if you ask me, with practice you can get some great effects (i do differential sanding and combine it with scorching to get a range of colours). Or you can get a long bolt, cut a load of sandpaper strips, hole in each stril and thread onto teh bolt (alternate which side is up) and then tighten a nut to hold in place before using that with a drill. Works but not as well (my opinion at least)

Tim Klock made the metal center for mine but I will open it up and show you how it looks first chance i get. I will also ask him where he got it for ya. he can probably bring one to carrbridge. In the meantime i used to slot the new lengths of sandpaper behind the last bit (2 inches) of the origional lengths and put it back together. works but the last few inches of the replacement lengths do tend to fly out :)

as for the abrasive-strips i got it from [email protected]

1 roll sandpaper 50 m for 40,00 EUR

+ shipping 17,00 EUR

+ 19 % VAT 10,83 EUR

All together 67,83 EUR - for 1 roll

thats a heck of a lot of sandpaper :)

the width is twice the sandoflex width so you have 100m worth of sandoflex paper. I guess each refill is about 50 - 20 cm of paper so you can make...er....quick adding up...500 or so refils for £50 or so... cheep

This is Tim's refil idea

square section of metal (box section) with a screw fitted to each side. 2 strips of abrasive (hole in each) held in place with the screws

simple but works well

This one has a finer abrasive, i prefer the 40 grit stuff, i like how it allows different effects

That's pretty cool Dave nice one :thumbup:

Easy way to make a small one for finer sanding is to hacksaw a slot down a piece of 8 or 10 mm bar and fit the sandpaper in the slot then wind it round itself, just make sure its wound the right way or it will slip out. this is particularly useful for sanding bores.

• 7 months later...