As promised: Stihl 201t-c M-tronic update

ArborClimber

Evening Ladies and Gents.

As I had mentioned before, I said I would write a small review after a couple of months of usage.

Myself and a workmate got one each, we have suitably used and abused the saws (as per requested), been used for normal pruning, dead-wooding, felling trees as big as we dared (almost twice the bar length), cherry-picker and climbing work.

As of today, no problems at all.

Even at -8 degrees, it always starts on the second pull, without fail, and cuts fast and stable. A very consistent saw, til now.

I'm chuffed with it at least...

Questions, feel free to ask. Answers, I will do my best

:001_smile:

I guess the saw comes with a 30 cm bar length with a 44DL PM3 chain.

Q1:

Does the saw have enough torque to pull the same chain type (Picco Micro 3) with 50DL on a 35 cm bar, without bogging down? How much does the longer chain affect the acceleration, when used for my most needed application of delimbing ?

Q2:

Does the saw have enough torque to pull the PS/PS3 chain type (Picco Super/Picco Super 3): on a 12" or even a 14" bar? (Again my needs is for delimbing and first time thinning).

Q3:

Running the current MS201 side by side with the upcoming MS201C-M, do you hear any difference in the idle sound? Difference in the steady idle rpm thanks to the M-Tronic? Any difference due to any altered muffler design?

Any lag in the throttle response due to the electronics awakening up?

Q4:

Does the user become aware of that the saw has an electronically managed carburetor at all? At what shifting scenarios does one need to recalibrate the saw, if ever needed?

P.S.

As a backgrounder I can tell that I'm currently am using the MS192C-E.

Because of the several times the diminutive 1.1mm PMMC3/PMM3 chain jumped of it's Rollomatic E Mini 12" bar and destroyed the chains drive links, I've changed to 1.3 mm 91VXL-044 chain and corresponding bar.

I really like the more robust 1.3 mm chain, and can accept the heavier bar and chain, but the small 30 cc engine in our MS192 doesn't provide enough torque, for the the heavier mass to spin acceptably, nor the larger cutters of the 1.3 mm chain.

Edited by traktorz

Q1:

Does the saw have enough torque to pull the same chain type (Picco Micro 3) with 50DL on a 35 cm bar, without bogging down? How much does the longer chain affect the acceleration, when used for my most needed application of delimbing ?

Q2:

Does the saw have enough torque to pull the PS/PS3 chain type (Picco Super/Picco Super 3): on a 12" or even a 14" bar? (Again my needs is for delimbing and first time thinning).

Q3:

Running the current MS201 side by side with the upcoming MS201C-M, do you hear any difference in the idle sound? Difference in the steady idle rpm thanks to the M-Tronic? Any difference due to any altered muffler design?

Q4:

Does the user become aware of that the saw has an electronically managed carburetor at all? At what shifting scenarios does one need to recalibrate the saw, if ever needed?

P.S.

Because of the several times the diminutive 1.1mm PMMC3/PMM3 chain jumped of it's Rollomatic E Mini 12" bar and destroyed the chains drive links, I've changed to 1.3 mm 91VXL-044 chain and corresponding bar.

I really like the more robust 1.3 mm chain, and can accept the heavier bar and chain, but the small 30 cc engine in our MS192 doesn't provide enough torque, for the the heavier mass to spin acceptably, nor the larger cutters of the 1.3 mm chain.

Ok, very specific questions, had to think about it a bit. I'll try my best...

Q1 and 2: The saw came with the Super Picco 3, on a 14" bar, as i use a battery 160 for little stuff, and the moped for reducings, fellings, and pretty much anything bigger than 15cm.

As for torque, I havent had any issues with it as of yet. Its pulled through everything til now. It accelerates quick off the mark everytime, I havent noticed any lack of power due to chain size or bar length.

Q3 and 4: Sitting next to an "old" 201, it does have a steady, even burble. Never too high, and hasnt cut out on me yet.

Throttle response is immediate. That was my problem with the old 201, that it would take a good bit until it realized it should do something. SOMETIMES, there is a very brief moment of lag, but only when I first start it in the morning. After its a bit warm, no lag at all, immediately at full scream.

Shifting scenarios I'm afraid I havent had much to do with.

A couple of times i have slightly noticed the electronics when i was delimbing and lopping branches off, and then without a pause, I shoved the saw full throttle into a 30cm stem to begin felling, top-down. It dropped in power for about 2 seconds until it realized that it needed to work a bit harder, which it then did, I'm glad to say. It then dutifully munched through with no issues, and continued to do so.

Even though the 192 is only 5 or 7cc smaller then the 201, the difference is significant.

Out of interest, I picked up my ported and muffle-modded 200 one day after a month of using the 201c-m to compare. First thing I noticed, and also very surprised me, was the weight difference. The 201c-m is definitely lighter. I didnt think there would be a any difference, but I noticed it in my wrist and thumb surprisingly quickly.

And fuel consumption is also significantly less than a modded 200t

I hope that answers some of your questions! I will try my best if anyone has anymore!

Will post pics next week if I remember....

Q1:

Q2:

Q3:

Q4:

P.S.

As a note: chisel chain, whilst being more aggressive, requires less power as it only has a single point of cut (the tip), whereas semi or chamfer chisel cuts on a much larger area, requiring more power, thus causing more strain on a saw.

To answer your 3rd question, the design is almost identical, the carb and electronics will be the only different parts. I have a 441 IPL that doesn't have m-tronic, the only difference I can see is the coil and carb.

Finally, the carb resets every time the switch is put to initial startup.

As a note: chisel chain, whilst being more aggressive, requires less power as it only has a single point of cut (the tip), whereas semi or chamfer chisel cuts on a much larger area, requiring more power, thus causing more strain on a saw.

To answer your 3rd question, the design is almost identical, the carb and electronics will be the only different parts. I have a 441 IPL that doesn't have m-tronic, the only difference I can see is the coil and carb.

Yeah!.... What he said! :biggrin:

Ok, very specific questions, had to think about it a bit. I'll try my best...

I hope that answers some of your questions! I will try my best if anyone has anymore!

Great thanks for your elaborative answers, much appreciated!

This model seems to be a good candidate for a lightweight saw, with reasonable power and torque for specific needs.

Thanks for enlightening me on various saw chain types with respect to driving power needs. Given most forest cleaning work is of fresh pine wood, chisel chain might be what I'm looking at for my needs.