Where to buy small quantities of hardwood unseasoned/uncut

mike3k

Hi

Does anyone know where I could buy some unseasoned and uncut hardwood in the Yorkshire area. I’m looking to buy a wood boiler this year and looking to find a supplier where I can buy un processed wood in quantities of around a tranny van full. Either one or 2 trips at a time. I know its not big bucks for the sellers but trying to find the best deal I can to keep costs down etc. Will collect.

Many thanks for reading

Mike

Yes your right, it's just to start with. Would be a returning customer for someone. Can't store the full years worth at the mo so need to start off with a few loads and go from there.

Will use softwood if someone has that?

Thx for the replys

Yes your right, it's just to start with. Would be a returning customer for someone. Can't store the full years worth at the mo so need to start off with a few loads and go from there.

Will use softwood if someone has that?

Thx for the replys

Whoever supplies you with the boiler or boiler stove should be able to give you an idea of likely timber usage. This will depend on the units heat output and how many hours a day it runs.

One of the other members here has put in a large wood boiler to heat three houses, it takes a cubic meter of logs, every day !!. Thats about 5 tonnes of timber a week.

A

Using a boiler you are likely to get through at least 10 cubic metres per year (discuss with your supplier). That wood needs cutting, splitting and seasoning for at least one summer. So you need a minimum storage area of 20 cubic metres and ideally more. I'd suggest you find a local supplier of quality seasoned wood at a good price before you commit to the boiler.

Using a boiler you are likely to get through at least 10 cubic metres per year (discuss with your supplier). That wood needs cutting, splitting and seasoning for at least one summer. So you need a minimum storage area of 20 cubic metres and ideally more. I'd suggest you find a local supplier of quality seasoned wood at a good price before you commit to the boiler.

Very sensible advice.

In Europe where wood burning is the norm in a lot of areas wood is usually stored for two to three years before being burnt. You see the log piles under the snow!!.

A

Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm located in south yorkshire (Barnsley)

I'm aware of the amount of fuel needed. I've spoken to the manufactures and done workings out on the installation. I'm a plumber and heating engineer so not going into this blind. My install will be a much smaller version of the guys feeding 3 houses.