Butchers block

div_h

As the title I'm looking for help/advice. I'm getting a new tool box next week and I was going to order the butchers block for it but I'm thinking of a bit of hardwood for the top of it. This it what you get when you order the snap on one-image.jpg.3e4c2f68cc40c7023aacd4ae18da747b.jpg

So my questions are- what wood is best? Is it possible to get a lump of hardwood 73" wide 24"deep 3" high?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title I'm looking for help/advice. I'm getting a new tool box next week and I was going to order the butchers block for it but I'm thinking of a bit of hardwood for the top of it. This it what you get when you order the snap on one-[ATTACH]163216[/ATTACH]

So my questions are- what wood is best? Is it possible to get a lump of hardwood 73" wide 24"deep 3" high?

Tanks in advance

HI MATE you need big butt to get that size timber out mate ask big John on here and rob d someone on here will help you out ok thanks Jon

i'd suggest you glue at least three boards of q-sawn wood together at 8x3" to make up your 24" width and you will get something very stable indeed.

a single wide board that is dry and flat will be ridiculously expensive not to mention difficult to find and you will have to fork out hundreds for it.

a manufactured one could be done for as little as £200.

Thanks for the replies! The one that's on that box is loads of bits glued together.. :001_tt2: cheers

i'm aware of that.

to properly answer your question, yes it is possible to find stuff that size but it's hard to get and expensive as i said.

wood wise you will be wanting something like ash, beech, oak, elm, robinia or sycamore.

the cheapest option is probably beech and this is also one of the best woods out of that selection.

That wide unless you get some fancy foreign wood, it's gonna cup and move, like has been said I would suggest a few bits biscuit jointed together. Carefully done and by the time you cover it in oil and tools to the untrained eye it will look like one lump. We can cut/supply oak that size but wouldn't recommend it.