Commercial insurance for 4x4 young driver

mitchel

Aviva all day long, im 25 with 6 years no claims and have an 06 isuzu rodeo and it only costs me £210 a year

Rang them for commercial quote mum runs business owns truck so she's policy holder both of our no claims on our personal vehicle wanted £700 a MONTH to insure fourtrak

Why not just get regular insurance in your own name on a car policy and have business use added on? You can specify you use a trailer occasionally. 23 year old even with no NCB shouldn't be more than £2k on that vehicle.

If you are insuring under a business name it will be more expensive. You also need to be clear about the situation. If you mum runs your business then it is still YOUR business. If you own the car, you're on the V5, you mainly use it then insure it as you being the main driver. Putting your mum down and you named is called 'fronting'. Insurance companies are far from stupid. Don't chance it by trying to pull the wool over their eyes. If you have a crash they can avoid paying out and you will be liable for recovery cost, third party costs, loss of your vehicle and so on. Saving a few quid sounds good but when you need it, it will come back to haunt you big time.

I can't believe NFU wouldn't help. If your mum is with them it should be simple (they usually don't quote for under-25 unless a parent is already using them)

Were you dealing with the local branch or the national call centre?

The NFU have been unhelpful for me too, despite insuring 3 tractors with them for years and being insured by them to drive any vehicle as an employee of another company.

I just dont think they want to have younger drivers, which is frustrating but fair enough I suppose.

Aviva insured my landrover when I was 18. Then I used Adrian Flux (though they have become less useful in recent years)

Edited by JimE

nfu are a funny bunch. they refused to insure my delivery trucks but when i was 21 i had insurance on a 2001 mazda b2500 (ford ranger) that cost 1200 a year with the nfu. but to get that i had to have a genuine reason (i was the cattle manager) and promise the boss of the local nfu branch that i would not do burnouts and drifting in tesco car park at stupid oclock in the morning :sneaky2:

this was with my fathers insurance and also allowed full forestry use. i also had two polices with full no claims since i was 17