tree swing cambium saver

haljam

Hi all, Wonder if anyone has words of wisdom to offer on installing a garden swing from a big tree. Client is looking to install a swing of some sort from one of the trees for Grandchildren. (Well they want me to do it). I wondered if anyone has any practical advise regarding tree choice type, how to protect the branch, secondary back ups, type of rope etc ?

In the good old days we used to just throw a bit of scrap hemp rope over a branch, tie a big knot and thread a stick through, then whoopie !

I have a choice of at least ash, beach, sycamore, cedar,and Yew to choose from, but most suitable limbs are higher than ideal for the age of kid. we are looking at 7m+

I guess there are also so liability issues to consider? Please tell me your top tips and swing disasters.

Thanks

You could use a couple of wide nylon lifting slings or just one for a tyre swing and join the rope to the end loop. Watch You've Been Framed for any pointers about where not to site it.

Edited by peatff

My very first childhood memory was the belly tickle sensation of hitting zero G on a big swing that my older brothers would obligingly swing me that high on without mum about!

There was an added tail rope below the seat to help amplify or whip the swing higher!

Mustbe a gas to get that tickle in a jet fighter!

Oak trees work for the humblest of test pilots I guess!

Jomoco