First carving attempt

urbandekay

Oh dear, tried my hand at carving today, far from an unmitigated attempt, so have a few questions of those with more expertise in the matter

1, When carving a block, not a stump, do you use something to hold the block down

2. Would it be better to use something to hold the block that swivelled to address block from different angles

3. Do you always use the chainsaw in a 'proper' manner or do you use it like a rasp, moving it sideways across the surface?

Haha well yes we use it in a proper way. There are techniques that the saw is used in a different manor to say logging up ie your rasping but at the end of the day use it how you want if it creates the effect you want then that's sweet. Just respect the kickback zone and where the correct ppe.

What where you carving?

What saw where you using?

we will only share tips if you share your photos. :biggrin:

yes it helps to clamp your block espesially if it is a bit on the light side.

no dont have it so i can rotate or you will find the log will try to turn when you are cutting. and finally use the saw however you want. if it workd for you then do it just watch out for kick backs. using the side of the bar is another good technique for removing a small amount of wood. on an upward stroke make contact with the bottom chain and on a downward strock use the top chain a bit like icing a cake with a pallet knife.

tom

Haha well yes we use it in a proper way. There are techniques that the saw is used in a different manor to say logging up ie your rasping but at the end of the day use it how you want if it creates the effect you want then that's sweet. Just respect the kickback zone and where the correct ppe.

What where you carving?

What saw where you using?

I was trying to carve a fox, ambitious perhaps but in at the deep end. Used by beautiful 268xp (Yes I'm long in the tooth) to cut to rough shape and then MS200T for detail

no dont have it so i can rotate or you will find the log will try to turn when you are cutting. and finally use the saw however you want. if it workd for you then do it just watch out for kick backs. using the side of the bar is another good technique for removing a small amount of wood. on an upward stroke make contact with the bottom chain and on a downward strock use the top chain a bit like icing a cake with a pallet knife.

tom

Oh no, had hoped to avoid sharing pics but here goes, not finished and probably won't be

Think I have uploaded pics

597668ac72294_2014-04-0415_31_43.jpg.def592211dd2a18d316a38c6ea5b360d.jpg

597668ac70363_2014-04-0415_32_01.jpg.b8cd53802eb1a15d7d7d492ab39c87a6.jpg

597668ac6ddbb_2014-04-0415_32_09.jpg.9616a2f95498b7b68d8a2b14beb0ddfe.jpg

tom

So, how do you clamp it?

Hi For holding the log still I use a heavy log with a few slots and shelfs cut into it to allow me to use a ratchet strap to strap the work to the log I call it my carving block but when I get round to it I want to get a motorcycle lift quite alot of other carvers use them as they can be jacked up and down quite far have a look on ebay I think they are about 150quid or so hope this helps I have a workshop/yard in shaftesbury everybodys welcome we also have stained glass and welding/metal craft going on open invite come and visit or check out (firebrand artisians on facebook)

Cheers Mark

get a nice wide plank or thick bit of Ply screw it to the bottom of your log so the screws are in the middle couple of inches of the log where you cant catch them on your chain then stand the log the right way up and screw down through the ply onto yourwork block/ stand. make sure the screws are well out from the log you are carving so you dont catch them with the saw.

or you can but an expensive clamp stand. some people use a black and decker work mate.