eucalyptus planks needed

se7enthdevil

hi all following on from my hardest timber thread i'm looking for a board or two of the southern blue gum, eucalyptus globulus for these cheeses i might be making.

does any one have any eucalyptus at all???

ideally in dry 12" x 3 1/2" planks that are not split.

i'll consider anything at this moment...

prob way off with this suggestion........., but you can easily get Eucalyptus marginata (jarrah) in the from of railway sleepers, i got some from a massive yard in yorkshire, i am going to re-saw it down with pto saw as bandsaw would not look at it, once you get 1 1/2 to 2 inch in colour of the treatment is gone and its really nice red, just a idea as it should be a long way to being dry.

it's a possibility john the only problem is that jarrah (janka 1860) is actually softer than the blue gum (janka 2370) we have growing in this country. also they are usually full of splits as the sleeper were cut and just plonked in place only 6 months after. they were never treated with preservative chemicals (jarrah doesn't need it) hence why they are used in child friendly outdoor environments...

they would be a good idea for turning in to bowl blanks if you can cut round the splits though.

Trouble with E. globulus is that the tree isn't reliably hardy in the UK, tends to only stand a chance in coastal areas. Even so, some I know around Abersoch in North Wales were ruined in the exceptionally cold winters a few years ago. From my experience the timber from the common Cider Gum, E. gunnii, isn't particularly hard. Warps and twists like the devil as well and internal honeycomb shakes can turn good looking stuff into firewood!

Trouble with E. globulus is that the tree isn't reliably hardy in the UK, tends to only stand a chance in coastal areas. Even so, some I know around Abersoch in North Wales were ruined in the exceptionally cold winters a few years ago. From my experience the timber from the common Cider Gum, E. gunnii, isn't particularly hard. Warps and twists like the devil as well and internal honeycomb shakes can turn good looking stuff into firewood!

I milled a load Last june so hard had to resharpen saw every 3m on approx 400mm dia log

Got some unmilled logs in yard bigger diameter and some planks

Used most green in kitchen floor as I loved the way it moved gave a fantastic old look and feel

Pm your email address and I will send pic of planks

I would use holly if you want some thing that hard as nails and won't move got some big stuf in yard and some old bur acacia about 500 in diameter