Grinding the heels off 3/8 lo pro chain

wisewood

Apologies for the poor quality pics and vid, but I thought this might be useful to others. This is the first time I've done this and speaking with Si O'Rourke he normally uses a grinder with a sanding disc to take off the back of the cutters.

I've got a Gransberg Precision grinder and it struck me that if I mount it on the bar backwards I could set it to grind the heel of each cutter, ensuring they are all trimmed to the same size.

The chain looks pretty good, it was too late to try it out tonight but I will see how it cuts tomorrow and update:001_smile:

IMAG1910.jpg.7d373806ce6151771f2441b3e59a1cca.jpg

IMAG1906.jpg.8c241bd0542c8bb55bebaedee44bb590.jpg

IMAG1903.jpg.8726fdf8a2086c7eda4c42952aacfe86.jpg

Edited by wisewood

I will get in before anyone else........

Why

The only reason they could be of unequal length is from un even sharpening . If you then make them the same length in the way you describe the will end up different widths .

I will get in before anyone else........

Why

Yeh I guess I should've said, because the radius of the nose of the carving bar is so small the heel of the cutter sticks up above the cutting edge as it goes round. This makes it really tough to do any bore cuts.

Mick Burns does a much better job of explaining here Carving information from Mick Burns, Chainsaw Carver

Yeh I guess I should've said, because the radius of the nose of the carving bar is so small the heel of the cutter sticks up above the cutting edge as it goes round. This makes it really tough to do any bore cuts.

Mick Burns does a much better job of explaining here Carving information from Mick Burns, Chainsaw Carver

Ah . I understand now . You sharpen them to the same length first , then grind the hells off .....

I'll get a pic of my carving chain tomorrow Simon. That's good thinking with the Granberg.

I made up a small wooden jig set over the bar and chain and used file on them. Think I tried the dremel, was a while ago.

I used the older 91vx chain rather than 91vxl as the vx have slightly shorter tops to the cutters.

The reason is when using a carving bar the back of the cutter when travelling around the tip is smoother as the back isn't catching the wood. Hope someone can explain better.

Edited by Gnome
too slow at typing.....

The only reason they could be of unequal length is from un even sharpening . If you then make them the same length in the way you describe the will end up different widths .

Brand new chain, all cutters the same length. Taking exactly the same amount off each back corner will leave you with modified cutters of the same length.

Brand new chain, all cutters the same length. Taking exactly the same amount off each back corner will leave you with modified cutters of the same length.

Yep got you now . Just you did not say it was a brand new chain initially , just that you could get them all the same length ....:001_smile: