Electric chainsaw with 1/4 pitch sprocket

ashyc

Greetings everyone.

I've been trawling through google trying to find an electric chainsaw that will take a cannon bar on a 1/4 pitch sprocket.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ash

I know over in America you can get a Makita carving bar set with sprocket included but youd have to check the correct model. P&P is tricky as it takes ages and isn't always guaranteed to arrive.

Electric saws take smaller chain sizing etc so youll probably do just as well with a normal electric saw for what an electric can do

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=18875

Edited by abercarver
adding link

Well depends what you want to carve, iv carved this bear with a Makita electric.

That's with a standard bar, with the electrics there isn't much you can buy accessories wise but don't spend a fortune on an electric but don't go cheap as they are a waste.

The Makita 5012B is a high speed electric that can be fit with 1/4 pitch drive but it does not have an automatic oiler and does not have an "in line" motor, which can be cumbersome.

The Stihl MSE series can be fit with a 1/4" sprocket (but is not variable speed?).

I have converted a Makita 15 amp electric saw (Dolmar is the same saw.) with a 1/4 pitch Dolmar Sprocket and an oversized rim to increase chain speed.

I use a Cannon dime tip on that saw.

The conversion is a bit tricky and requires a vertical press (or two vices, one to hold the other vertical).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, it's been a while but I finally did it.

Im running a makita UC3520 with an 8" dime tip bar c1 mount on a quarter pitch sprocket. The 1/4" sprocket for the 5012b fits the uc3520. The only extra things you'll need are a couple of m12 washers, no more than 2mm thick and at least 28mm od. 48 links on the chain oils well.

The csprocket on the UC3551 is completely different so this will not work on it. There is information on how to convert the UC3551 out there but it looks like a complete faf. I'm running mine on a 12 quarter tip with 3/8 low profile chain which is fine.

So, if you have a makita saw with the same shaped drive shaft end as the uc3520 (oval shape with two flats on the longest sides) i'd say the sprocket from the 5012b will fit. You can get them here - https://www.loghomestore.com/c126-1-4-pitch-sprockets.php and I'm sure you can get them other places. It took about 4 days to arrive from america.

Happy quiet, yet under powered carving ;)