Root Systems - Asymmetry when growing in a raised bank or hedge

kevinjohnsonmbe

Here's the situation.... a tree grows on a raised bank or stone hedge, the ground is level with the top of the hedge on one side (so we could assume 180 degree availability of sound anchorage on that side in the absence of any other significant factors) and 1 - 1.5 metres lower on the other side - does it follow then that the anchorage is NOT available on the lower side?

Struggling to find any definitive answer or research to support what I think is a reasonable assumption. Any thoughts out there in the ether? :confused1:

Here's the situation.... a tree grows on a raised bank or stone hedge, the ground is level with the top of the hedge on one side (so we could assume 180 degree availability of sound anchorage on that side in the absence of any other significant factors) and 1 - 1.5 metres lower on the other side - does it follow then that the anchorage is NOT available on the lower side?

Struggling to find any definitive answer or research to support what I think is a reasonable assumption. Any thoughts out there in the ether? :confused1:

Mattheck covers this, seek out VTA and compression roots:thumbup1:

if I can sum it up in one sentence, anchorage is available on the other side - the roots adapt to it - though I would judge each situation by its own merits -

Sound anchorage in the form of tension roots will be limited on the bank side, but there will most likely be 'stilt' roots providing compression resistance (see vta field guide). I don't know the context of your tree in question; ground works in rpa at the bottom of the bank perhaps? If so, or similar, remember just because there are probably no roots providing significant anchorage at the bottom does not mean there won't be a significant amount of fine feeder roots (especially if soil condition is favourable, eg moist, fertile and uncompacted).

Ps. Fine looking tree Tony, with all the activity on the girdling roots thread I wonder what David and Guy would make of it? Fungi is .........?

Thanks all!

Dean, I purposely didn't go into specific detail (a risk I know) but in an attempt to garner as broad a spread of potential responses as possible, that was a calculated risk. I recognise that specifics wouldn't be possible without clear detail but, on balance, considered it a worthwhile punt! It is a mature pine on the raised ground in the neighbour's grounds where the adjoining neighbour is seeking planning consent for a new build +/- 5m from the raised ground, stone faced wall upon which the tree grows. There is no sign of heave or swell in the face of the stone wall and I'm making the 'assumption' that compression roots have formed on the inner face of the bank to compensate. Trial digs to 600mm planned for tomorrow to try and ascertain if, or the extent of, the root spread into the potential RPA for the new build. The 'process' is a bit arsed about face already! I'm a late entry on the Arb report which should have been conducted prior to the planning submission. Both the client, and planning consultant acting for them, AND the LA planning officer missed the requirement for an Arb survey / method statement so I'm playing catch-up. Think that's funny? It's TPO'd as well! Happy days....

Tony, nice picture! Looks a hedgerow tree in open agricultural land, maybe even arable....? Low traffic, (relatively) low risk.... My situation is retirement home grounds bordering comprehensive school, both high pedestrian traffic, potential new construction of permanent buildings within 10m of tree. Think I'll have to word this report very carefully!

Maybe there's the potential for a new thread (or I could look and see if one has already been created) Amenity value as justification for a TPO - discuss...

Paul, wise words!

Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Ps. Fine looking tree Tony, with all the activity on the girdling roots thread I wonder what David and Guy would make of it? Fungi is .........?

The fungi is obvious isnt it!:001_rolleyes:

as for the girdling roots thread, havent even looked at it, thats Guy (treeseers) pet subject and steering well away as I think......