Another abstract sculpture

EddieJ

That's brilliant, did you really do that in a day?

It was about 8hrs work, but and would have been quicker but I'm getting increasingly fussy about the sanding down. Sadly being green oak, it is a pain in the backside if you try and do it the same day. I should learn to be more patient and let it case harden a bit and keep going back to it.

Very clever - all the shapes are very even.... did you cut them out with a chainsaw or jigsaw?

I cheated by making a quick pattern, then cut the shapes out using my band saw. They aren't quite as accurate as I would have liked, as I was having trouble with my blades. The 1 1/4" two skip that I normally use was just about fine for the cutting out, but it was too course, so I switched a 1/2" 4 skip but I kept over cutting. Strange how changing from the usual choice of blade can make so much difference.

To start with I wasn't too sure if I like the finished item, but it has really grown on me, and I now intend to make two more, one twice the height and one half the height, then display them in a group of three. I reckon that it could look quite effective.

Edited by EddieJ