Alsatian

Ianw6522

Ian, it's an awesome piece of work!

Here's the problem you might have. Dogs are such personal characters that it is close to, if not impossible to capture all of the character, personality, spirit of mans' best friend in an art form wether that be 2 dimensional (picture / painting) or 3 dimensional (carving / model.)

There's just too much in the original package for it to be realistically captured in an inanimate form. With the best will in the world, my wife commissioned models and pictures of my previous dogs.... I can't bear them (a) because it hurts and (b) because they aren't really good enough. Pains me to say it, and I haven't ever told her.

Your skills are awesome mate and I'd have a "generic" GSD from you any day, I wouldn't ask you to carve from a picture of a passed dog though, it just wouldn't be fair on either of us.

I hope your customer isn't as much of a soft head as I am and you'll be fine!

PS - best only refer to it as an Alsatian if that's what the customer calls it, otherwise best say it's a German Sheperd Dog - believe it or not, some get quite touchy about such things.

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

Ian, it's an awesome piece of work!

Here's the problem you might have. Dogs are such personal characters that it is close to, if not impossible to capture all of the character, personality, spirit of mans' best friend in an art form wether that be 2 dimensional (picture / painting) or 3 dimensional (carving / model.)

There's just too much in the original package for it to be realistically captured in an inanimate form. With the best will in the world, my wife commissioned models and pictures of my previous dogs.... I can't bear them (a) because it hurts and (b) because they aren't really good enough. Pains me to say it, and I haven't ever told her.

Your skills are awesome mate and I'd have a "generic" GSD from you any day, I wouldn't ask you to carve from a picture of a passed dog though, it just wouldn't be fair on either of us.

I hope your customer isn't as much of a soft head as I am and you'll be fine!

PS - best only refer to it as an Alsatian if that's what the customer calls it, otherwise best say it's a German Sheperd Dog - believe it or not, some get quite touchy about such things.

Kevin, thank you for the response, you are correct about the carving not being able to compare to the real think, i had a Golden Retriever commission to be carved from a 14 year old picture. When they came to collect the finished carving i could see on there faces that it wasnt their dog...... i didnt let them have it, it sold the next day as a Golden Retriever carving :001_smile:

Thanks for your advice on calling the carving a German Sheperd i think thats the way to go when they come to see it tomorrow. I have said to them that there is no obligation to buy it unless they are totally happy with how it looks.

Much appreciated.

Ian

Hi kevin , sorry I think you are wrong my girlfriend does pencil drawings of dogs living and dead ones from pictures , it takes her ages but I tell you she has had people in tears with the way she can caputre what the dogs are like , but its a rare gift to be able to capture that living spark , sorry just had to say , but nice job on the dog , I am finding carving animals quite hard , its all the fine features , hope the client likes it .

Cheers Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Hi kevin , sorry I think you are wrong my girlfriend does pencil drawings of dogs living and dead ones from pictures , it takes her ages but I tell you she has had people in tears with the way she can caputre what the dogs are like , but its a rare gift to be able to capture that living spark , sorry just had to say , but nice job on the dog , I am finding carving animals quite hard , its all the fine features , hope the client likes it .

Cheers Mark

Yes Mark, sorry, I was seeing it only from my very limited (non-existent) artistic capability.

How did it go with the customer Ian??