Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaw Carving Forum Discussion forum for chainsaw carving and other woodwork, discuss techniques and share pictures of your latest work here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-02-17   #1 (permalink)

Carving bar issues

Can someone please help me by explaining why i have this damage to the tip of my bar sugi 12 ins running on a echo cs 281 1/4 pitch chain. i have been carving with it all week, sharpening as required, came to do some maintenance and cleaning etc today and spotted the damage to both the bar top and below the tip aswell as chain links on the underside.
Has the chain been running toooo slack or is it something else. I thought i looked after my equipment until i saw this

Any help would be appreciated (rob d ) i have been watching Simons video on bar maintenance and i think its becoming clear now.
Attached Images

Old 18-02-17   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2014, 2015

Re: Carving bar issues

I've done a couple of bars the same Ian, and I think it's down to the chain being too slack allowing it to slap as it goes around the tip. It seems to burr the links as well, which accelerates the damage. Some of it can be removed by dressing the bar, preferably with a diamond stone, as files won't touch the stellite tip.
I've got a small block of wood with a groove routered in it to take the diamond stone, which keeps it square to the bar. I'll post a pic tomorrow if I remember.

This kind of thing
Quex Wood Products
https://www.facebook.com/quexwood

Last edited by Ukulian; 18-02-17 at 02:51 PM..
Old 18-02-17   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

As mentioned above could be chain is too slack, something I often do too.
Can't see properly on my phone but looks like the chain has some rollover on its underside. Have you got a power file? I dress the tip with powerfile as the normal method with a file won't touch the steatite edge.
Once you've sorted the bar just put a new loop on.
Are you filing the cutter heals ?
facebook https://www.facebook.com/Si.at.wisewoodsculptor
📞07888843051
Old 18-02-17   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulian View Post
I've done a couple of bars the same Ian, and I think it's down to the chain being too slack allowing it to slap as it goes around the tip. It seems to burr the links as well, which accelerates the damage. Some of it can be removed by dressing the bar, preferably with a diamond stone, as files won't touch the stellite tip.
I've got a small block of wood with a groove routered in it to take the diamond stone, which keeps it square to the bar. I'll post a pic tomorrow if I remember.

This kind of thing
Thanks for the information Ian, i will have a go at dressing the bar and get a new loop of chain and see what happens. i have a diamond stone now from a friend of mine.
Old 18-02-17   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisewood View Post
As mentioned above could be chain is too slack, something I often do too.
Can't see properly on my phone but looks like the chain has some rollover on its underside. Have you got a power file? I dress the tip with powerfile as the normal method with a file won't touch the steatite edge.
Once you've sorted the bar just put a new loop on.
Are you filing the cutter heals ?
I don't have a power file Si, I have a diamond stone I will try tomorrow and see if I can put the bar right. I have a fresh chain to go on then and yes I do file the heels by a couple of mm.

Thanks for the help Si