help, things just got serious

stuckinthemud

Ok, so suddenly the goal posts have moved. Up until an hour ago I was only interested in occasional home carving and seriously considering a Stihl compact cordless. Now, I've been asked to carve a school's story chair on-site and I'm guessing that's not up to the job? The echo carving kit looks tempting but still, its £100 more and that would cover all the safety gear.....

its tough pricing stuff like this. I get all kinds of grief from the full-time carvers as i do a lot of community project (and for me, that means free. or at-most at-cost). But if you need to shell out for tools to do the job, then you got to charge for the job. a well carved throne is worth a decent saw and bar. Just depends on how you feel about charging a school, your skill level and how good it comes out.

The echo is a great wee saw. i use a 360wes with my 16inch tsumara fine-tip detailing bar (One of Simon O'Roukes ones, amazing for fine detail but ony for that) and its fantastic. I tend to use stihl ms181 with a 12 inch sugi dime tip for most of my detailing work, mainly because those saws are great value (but still cheep enough to be almost disposable, 210 or so for the saw? whats not to like) but produce loads of power for detailing and nicely balanced. it can also take a beating and with a sugi tip (well dressed, heals cut back properly on the chain!) you can be pretty brutal with it and i almost use it for blocking out.

each to their own though.

Thing is my daughter's youth club is run by the headteacher.....suppose I could suggest I do the job for my (tool) costs

Maybe I misunderstood, is the school expecting this carving as a gift?

Have they discussed a budget at all?

I know most schools are strapped for cash but they should still have some funds available. If it was playing equipment or building work they would pay the going rate without any quibbles. If it was dismantling a tree at the school would you charge them for it?

It's your choice to offer your time/skills for free but you should at least get them to cover any expenses you incur.

No, the school is not expecting a freebie, and in fact schools have a pretty healthy budget for grounds maintenance and improvement. I'm pretty sure the tree wasn't felled for free! I am glad to do this just for the advertising as it would fill a gap I have between contracts but I don't want to be out of pocket either.

• 3 months later...