Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaw Carving Forum Discussion forum for chainsaw carving and other woodwork, discuss techniques and share pictures of your latest work here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-01-17   #1 (permalink)

A late xmas tree post!

Its been a while since my last post, for some reason the app on my phone just wont work and have only just got access back to my desktop - Arg.

But aye, was lucky enough to pick up my first commercial commission just before Christmas - The guys at Airspace East Kilbride asked me to carve a 5ft christmas tree to display in their main lobby..
This was by far my largest carve to date and was great fun.

Its carved from some massive Lawson's Cypress we felled back in summer - A beautiful wood to work with - nice smell and a lovely grain.

Was also my first proper try-out of the 20" Sugihara Q-Tip bar I got from Rob. This was for my Huskie 560xp, which i've read is pretty overpowered as far as carving goes, but I absolutely love it.
I'm certainly no expert on saws or carving set-ups so been using it pretty carefully - not wanting to cause ridiculous wear on the sprocket or the bar. However, its all but replaced a standard bar for the blocking out process, being able to comfortably use the tip for more intricate areas is brilliant, I got pretty much this whole piece finished with it, a lot faster than I expected to.
I did learn pretty quickly to keep a closer eye on both chain tension, and how much of the cutter heels I ground off, as i found it heating up quite quickly initially.

What do you guys use as mid-range saws? looking to add something with a 14-16" bar to my arsenal!

Any feedback or advice welcome as always!
Cheers,
Old 26-01-17   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2015

Re: A late xmas tree post!

Excellent stuff mate. Will look great in the airspace lobby I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk