Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaw Carving Forum Discussion forum for chainsaw carving and other woodwork, discuss techniques and share pictures of your latest work here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-16   #1 (permalink)

Making oak frames from this?

A friend of mine is planning on building some hobbit houses in his field and after a large oak came down a few months ago, he's keen to use some of the timber:

He's mindful that access is a bit difficult although carrying an Alaskan down there wouldn't be too hard. However, the bit on the left, whilst being about 20" in diameter and fairly straight, it has some big knots in it. Is it possible (or worthwhile) to cut the smaller bits (about 10" diameter) into curved beams freehand or should I lend him a drawknife to just remove the bark?
Old 22-12-16   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013, 2014, 2015

Re: Making oak frames from this?

It is possible to use the smaller sections to make curved beams. They will be box-heart and hence strong, but will develop cracks through to the heart (which is fine but they will show - just expect it).

He will need to find lengths without substantial knots and there is very much an art to this, which takes time to learn how to 'see' the timber in the tree and get the most out of it. He would then need to remove the bark and I would also remove the sapwood.

I would still be inclined to use an Alaskan to cut two parallel sides, then cut the other two (curved) sides using a side-axe to follow a drawn on line. You want a smooth, swept curve of equal thickness along the whole length. This will then effectively be the same construction method as standard framing, rather than roundwood framing. A 10" diameter probably has a 6" x 4" in it with slightly waney corners.

From the picture, I wouldn't be writing off the fatter bit either. There looks to be a reasonable length for shorter sections such as upright posts in the foreground, so again with careful mill placement it should be possible to recover some decent timber.

Alec

Last edited by agg221; 22-12-16 at 07:14 PM..
Old 22-12-16   #3 (permalink)

Cool, I'll let him know. It would be nice to have some locally sourced materials used in the construction. Anyone in Sussex with an Alaskan?
Old 23-12-16   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I could possibly help with this if needed. I've played around with curved bits of oak before to make a footbridge.
Old 23-12-16   #5 (permalink)

That's great. I'll pass your details along