carving courses

kyte

hi ,all!!!

does anyone know of any up and coming chainsaw carving courses coming up in devon somerset area,, I've been keen to have a go at learning the basics of carving something bit creative for some years now ,, but could really use some artistic experience with someone to give me a push..?? I've got 17 year experience on the saws , and years of seeing amazing lumps of wood rung up and turned into firewood has worn pretty thin,, be great to do something with them??

any leads would be amazing....

cheers

Seventeen years on the saws is plenty experience enough to just crack on yourself really. I if I were you watch a few carving vids on you tube and crack on with a few mushrooms. Try a few other more tricky carvings and go from there. If you enjoy doing mushrooms and stools etc then poss think about getting yourself a lighter weight saw with a dime tip carving bar. It makes life a lot easier find some small figurines and try and copy them. As you progress you may wish to refine them then it's time to invest in an angle grinder with flap sanding discs. Possibly a die grinder and dremel. It really boils down to practice.

Practice some shapes first. Hence Woodcrafter's suggestion of mushrooms. It won't be a waste of wood, 'cause they'll always sell. :)

Waiting for inspiration doesn't work. You need saw, wood and gat on with it, the inspiration will come, sometimes part way through the log ;)

hey,, nice one mark,, well up for that,, gotta get a wedding over with this weekend, then will get in touch after see if we can cobble summit together ,, my smallest saws a 261,, but has been meaning to buy something lighter for a while t have a go with,, will also be a good to have a lighter saw for my girl too,, I'm a stihl man really,, day reckon th ms 150 will cut the mustard??, or should i get summit bit bigger?? thanks for all replys ;)

Ms 150 is a great fine detail saw with an R7 .043 carving bar, but you really need a little more power with a .050 dime tip &1/4 carving chain. Depending upon your budget for Stihl ms 201,181,171 with 1/4 clutch sprocket. Run your chain a little slack too.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Arbtalk mobile app

ok so,,, it doesn't make sense for me to buy a bottom, middle range saw as a lighter saw will get used load regardless,, the 201 is now m tronic, i know we gotta move withe the times but it'll be my first saw that thinks for itself??!!! I've always been stihl,, but only to keep all tools the same,, is the 201 a good idea or is there a proven alterative?? don't want to open the husky vs stihl debate , just is the 201 c-m worth the investment??? any moral support gratefully received!!!

Hi I have always been on the sthil side also but when my old 181 gave up , and having had a go with a new one it was crap , I went for an echo got it from Rob D Chainsaw Bars it was a very good price give him a call he will sort you out with a nice carving set up , and pop on up no worries

Cheers Mark