First big Owl carve

Gardenmac

Realise that the standards are ever increasing when you look at the level of carving at the Husky Cup, Carve Carrbridge and the APF etc.

Thought I'd be brave and show you my latest effort which is far way off those pro standards. But I've been working on the feather texture and this is the biggest piece of timber I've carved to date.

I need to source some 55mm marbles for the eyes and tidy up the faces. Any feed back most appreciated.

feathers.jpg.36b70460e7a522f96fa586a468b4927c.jpg

feathers1.jpg.3e9748f7606345946834fb93259d5735.jpg

fethares3.jpg.73a01d0f48f68fcd10df29f0a9350308.jpg

feathers6.jpg.ab64ca739b967ff809d9692600e7a682.jpg

feathers4.jpg.9007bba843b69edc54085ab5bce49860.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Russ I've been wondering where you've been lately.

My two pence worth, the first pic of the feather detail. Instead of cutting in at 90° to the log, undercut at about 30° so you get an overlay giving the impression the feathers are lying on top of each other. Also define wings and layer the wing tip feathers.

Hope that all makes sense.

Always best to study photos of your subject matter to understand form rather than guess, I speak from experience 😜

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Arbtalk mobile app

Realise that the standards are ever increasing when you look at the level of carving at the Husky Cup, Carve Carrbridge and the APF etc.

Thought I'd be brave and show you my latest effort which is far way off those pro standards. But I've been working on the feather texture and this is the biggest piece of timber I've carved to date.

I need to source some 55mm marbles for the eyes and tidy up the faces. Any feed back most appreciated.

That's very nice, good effort mate, thanks for sharing👍

Hey Russ I've been wondering where you've been lately.

My two pence worth, the first pic of the feather detail. Instead of cutting in at 90° to the log, undercut at about 30° so you get an overlay giving the impression the feathers are lying on top of each other. Also define wings and layer the wing tip feathers.

Hope that all makes sense.

Always best to study photos of your subject matter to understand form rather than guess, I speak from experience 😜

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Arbtalk mobile app

Many thanks Si, will give that ago. Heard that a Mohican is running around the woods with a chainsaw. Good man great cause:thumbup:

Hi Russ

A good first attempt.

One of the things that helps me is to mentally simplifying the shape of what I'm trying to carve and go for that shape. An otter, for example is an elongated peanut. When I'm doing owls I think of a tilted rugby ball at 45 degrees. One end of the 'ball' (the head) is rounded the other end (the tail) is is pointedand elongated. The tip of the saw is great for marking in the face either side of the beak at right angles.

Hope this helps.

Carrie

http://www.carrieoncarving.co.uk

Hi Russ

If I can help with my limited knowledge, reduce the size of the head above the wing line to define the shape a little more. I stopped using marbles for eyes, try using a dime tip bar to shape the top of the eye and then use your burning tool and burn a semi circle under the cut, with a bit of practice it looks effective.

I like the look of your feathers in the 3rd pic, nice one. :thumbup:

Hi Russ

A good first attempt.

One of the things that helps me is to mentally simplifying the shape of what I'm trying to carve and go for that shape. An otter, for example is an elongated peanut. When I'm doing owls I think of a tilted rugby ball at 45 degrees. One end of the 'ball' (the head) is rounded the other end (the tail) is is pointedand elongated. The tip of the saw is great for marking in the face either side of the beak at right angles.

Hope this helps.

Carrie

http://www.carrieoncarving.co.uk

Many thanks for the great tips re the shapes and face.

Slowly building up the right tools for the job and need to invest in a couple of carving bars next.

Hi Russ

If I can help with my limited knowledge, reduce the size of the head above the wing line to define the shape a little more. I stopped using marbles for eyes, try using a dime tip bar to shape the top of the eye and then use your burning tool and burn a semi circle under the cut, with a bit of practice it looks effective.

I like the look of your feathers in the 3rd pic, nice one. :thumbup:

Hi Ian, am about to go out and reshape the head following your comment and gonna try define the wing feathers following on from Si's comment.

Where did you get your eye burning tool from?

Many thanks

Russ

There was a thread on here sometime ago, I think it's title was 'eye burning tool' take a look at that. I got mine from Shaun 'Norfolkngood' is his name on here, I'm sure he will be more than happy to sell you a pair. I use 25mm and 12 mm for smaller carvings. :thumbup1: