Macrocarpa available

john p

Surely this is arb waste? I don't understand why your costs aren't already covered in the job.

I'm not having a go, but this type of thing keeps popping up, folk wanting inflated prices because they're trying to cover their expenses that should have been included in the original price for the job.

Rant over.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Arbtalk mobile app

Surely this is arb waste? I don't understand why your costs aren't already covered in the job.

I'm not having a go, but this type of thing keeps popping up, folk wanting inflated prices because they're trying to cover their expenses that should have been included in the original price for the job.

Rant over.

Maybe it's a casualty of forum "interpretation / communication?"

Job cost might be expected to include fell & remove if that is the spec, but maybe the job was costed below market to secure it on the expectation that some funds might be recovered by selling on the arisings - either as timber for processing or, worst case scenario, firewood? Maybe it's that part that equates to the £600 mentioned? Is that an unreasonable price? What would be reasonable??

"Arb waste" (if such a thing actually exists) it certainly isn't (that might just be my view) but I'm surprised you might think of it in those terms given the quality of your work and the ability you have to turn (what some might think of as waste) into something beautiful.

Genuinely not wishing to seem confrontational, but isn't better to at least try and find a second user that has the talent / time to change arb arisings into saleable product?

The tree house on your website is sensational! I'm now determined to find and save a large hollow stem and try something similar!

Maybe it's a casualty of forum "interpretation / communication?"

Job cost might be expected to include fell & remove if that is the spec, but maybe the job was costed below market to secure it on the expectation that some funds might be recovered by selling on the arisings - either as timber for processing or, worst case scenario, firewood? Maybe it's that part that equates to the £600 mentioned? Is that an unreasonable price? What would be reasonable??

"Arb waste" (if such a thing actually exists) it certainly isn't (that might just be my view) but I'm surprised you might think of it in those terms given the quality of your work and the ability you have to turn (what some might think of as waste) into something beautiful.

Genuinely not wishing to seem confrontational, but isn't better to at least try and find a second user that has the talent / time to change arb arisings into saleable product?

The tree house on your website is sensational! I'm now determined to find and save a large hollow stem and try something similar!

Valid points Kevin, and yes I realise nothing is black and white and I certainly don't know the full details of this contract so yes maybe I should have enquired before I assumed the worst. My bad and I apologise to the op.

It's the wrong end of the country for me to make it profitable but my point was the op needs £600 to break even, he will want more to make it profitable and then there's the haulage cost again for the buyer.

I'm not blaming the op, but I suspect some customers have unreasonable expectations on the value of their trees and don't think of the hidden costs of extraction and haulage.

Would customer's still be so keen if they were left with the logs to sell themselves?

The client wants £x for the wood, removal to yard costs £y , is client paying for this or has op taken the hit in the hopes to recoup his costs?

Valid points Kevin, and yes I realise nothing is black and white and I certainly don't know the full details of this contract so yes maybe I should have enquired before I assumed the worst. My bad and I apologise to the op.

It's the wrong end of the country for me to make it profitable but my point was the op needs £600 to break even, he will want more to make it profitable and then there's the haulage cost again for the buyer.

I'm not blaming the op, but I suspect some customers have unreasonable expectations on the value of their trees and don't think of the hidden costs of extraction and haulage.

Would customer's still be so keen if they were left with the logs to sell themselves?

The client wants £x for the wood, removal to yard costs £y , is client paying for this or has op taken the hit in the hopes to recoup his costs?

Definitely!

It's not at all uncommon to have a potential customer ask for a substantial discount off quote based on some pub-generated, perverse, supposed valuation of the timber being removed. I tend to offer simply to leave it in situ since the costs (time / resources / labour) of removal equate roughly to actual value of timber being removed.

"If you think it's that valuable, I'll leave it for you to sell" usually adds the necessary element of reality!

Happy days! :laugh1:

Definitely!

It's not at all uncommon to have a potential customer ask for a substantial discount off quote based on some pub-generated, perverse, supposed valuation of the timber being removed. I tend to offer simply to leave it in situ since the costs (time / resources / labour) of removal equate roughly to actual value of timber being removed.

"If you think it's that valuable, I'll leave it for you to sell" usually adds the necessary element of reality!

Lol, I sometimes get stump job clients wanting a discount because I'm carving their wood and not a bought log. I can see their logic but once I've added my expenses getting to them/ added difficulties of working on site it negates any savings they expect.

Cheers for your compliments on my work by the way 👍

Definitely!

Bang on there Kevin. We have all had those clients who think their huge macro or pop in their back garden with no access is worth a small fortune from what locals at the pub said last week.

The problem is ongoing. Wood does have a value. To realise it, it needs processing. Which is time consuming needing contacts and equipment to realise it. The willingness to make an effort. Really we should be more hardline. Make the job pay first.

Nobody ever challenges those that do well out of low input services that are obviously doing well for themselves such as financial advisers and brokers. Driving round in high marque cars, expensive homes etc. With fees in the hundreds without a drop of sweat.

Nobody ever says to a waste company,

"My skip has loads of scrap metal in, it's worth X amount in it, can you knock that off"

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk