Farmi160 vs GreenmechCS100

Johnboy12

I recently purchased a Farmi 160 PTO machine without feed rollers. I have a powerful 100hp tractor so thought I may as well go for the PTO machine.

I own a farm with some mixed Ash woodland and really just want a chipper to tidy the place up. Plenty of fallen trees for firewood every year and just need a chipper for the brash. Most of the wood will be cut for logs so could cope with a smaller machine.

The Farmi has been a real disappointment. I have to ouch most brash into her. Had to take of the safety curtain / flaps. So obvious danger from putting your arm so far in and chaps being thrown back at your face.

The Greenmech CS100 was a similar price and I think the dealer will be decent and swap the machines with a little negotiation.

Have read the famous "Shreks wee chipper" thread. But will the Greenmech do the job for me? I'm assuming because it is a drum machine this helps with the feed in? Any other thoughts? I just want something that is easy to use.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The CS100 is available in three options

16 hp manual start

18hp electric start

PTO drive

its a cracking little machine for what it is, but please don't buy a CS100 PTO and stick it on a 100hp tractor haha.

The CS100 really fits the market of chip the brash/crappy stuff and keep the decent stuff for logs.

where are you based?

Get a proper pto machine with feed rollers, or even one of the old gravity chuck and duck jobbies. The greenmech is a good machine if you are in a wee back garden with a small amount of brash. But if you have a tractor for the same money as the GM you ought to find a second hand pto machine that will be miles better.

Sounds like you've made your mind up already!

we have many small local authority, private and golf clubs that just use them for tidy up work, similar to your needs.

Once the drum grabs the material it'll sort its self out generally. If you haven't already watch a couple of youtube videos.

Cheers, feed rollers on a bigger machine would no doubt be a great job as I already have the tractor. But I really want to log anything bigger than 3 inches anyway. As long as the drum can grab the brash and drag it in well, I will be happy. The Farmi160 had no prob with long poles of 6 inch timber, but was really beyond useless with bushy stuff.

I think the CS100 could hold value better, and will be handy for doing wee jobs for others etc. Taking the Farmi back and bringing some typical brash with me to try the CS100 first.

Get a proper pto machine with feed rollers, or even one of the old gravity chuck and duck jobbies. The greenmech is a good machine if you are in a wee back garden with a small amount of brash. But if you have a tractor for the same money as the GM you ought to find a second hand pto machine that will be miles better.

this:thumbup1:

i recently bought a used Greenmech GMR100 chipper which looks very similar to the Greenmech CS100, it's very good indeed so i would imagine the newer and more capable CS100 would be even better. My mate has a new CS100 and raves on about how good it is. GM all the way !

I bought a small pto (drum with feed roller) chipper a few years back for small scale woodland work. Thought everything would look great chipped up, rarely take it out these days. As its only a small 4'' max machine, the amount of prep work you have to do with branches beforehand, like cutting out large unions etc so the stuff will fit through the intake opening, far out ways the end result and appearance. I just leave branches cut up on site now to rot back. Given a second chance I would find one of these much more beneficial - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB-y1y6Ptvc]TR70 Branchlogger - YouTube[/ame] (vid courtesy of 'woodworks' on here).