Beware home insurance

Just tried to put in a claim for tools stolen from home through my house and contents.

Because I,m a tree surgeon and my hedge trimmers etc were bought in my business name, they won't cover them.

I argued that I haven't got any other hedge trimmers for doing my hedges only stihl and buy everything through my business name to put through the books.

For them to cover the claim I would have to provide purchase receipts in my own name and not as da lofthouse tree surgery.

Just another get out loophole to beware of chaps

Insurance is More Than, underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried to put in a claim for tools stolen from home through my house and contents.

Because I,m a tree surgeon and my hedge trimmers etc were bought in my business name, they won't cover them.

I argued that I haven't got any other hedge trimmers for doing my hedges only stihl and buy everything through my business name to put through the books.

For them to cover the claim I would have to provide purchase receipts in my own name and not as da lofthouse tree surgery.

Just another get out loophole to beware of chaps

Insurance is More Than, underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance

That's who I'm with, has all your saws etc been stolen? Why aren't you claiming through your business insurance?

If your home insurance excludes business cover and they think that you are claiming for business equipment, then I can understand why they are being a bit cautious about paying out.

The majority of home owners don't want business cover, and they don't want to pay for those that do.

I sympathise, but.........................

Problem is, what do you use at home.

What I am saying is if you get things stolen from home and they take your honda mower or hedge trimmers or strimmer or anything you have bought for home use but bought it in your business name, its not covered. Even if you do not use it for work.

When you actually read the small print your covered for very little.

As for business insurance you try getting a quote after you've been hit 6 times in 7 week. I,m trying to spread out the claims between my insurances otherwise its a bit embarrasing

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

Problem is, what do you use at home.

What I am saying is if you get things stolen from home and they take your honda mower or hedge trimmers or strimmer or anything you have bought for home use but bought it in your business name, its not covered. Even if you do not use it for work.

just get some invoice in yr name .:biggrin: