Vat killing me!

simonm

I have been advised by my accountant to start quoting my price + vat, i seem to be loosing work hand over fist, jobs i would of won previously i am now loosing which i put down to the extra 20%! the only way i can think of going around this is to pursue more commercial stuff :sneaky2:

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been advised by my accountant to start quoting my price + vat, i seem to be loosing work hand over fist, jobs i would of won previously i am now loosing which i put down to the extra 20%! the only way i can think of going around this is to pursue more commercial stuff :sneaky2:

You need to take into account the VAT you will now be reclaiming, this will reduces your costs, this may well mean you only actually need to charge an extra 10 or 11%.

You need to take into account the VAT you will now be reclaiming, this will reduces your costs, this may well mean you only actually need to charge an extra 10 or 11%.

I see where you are coming from, this should even it out a little, the area we are in is over saturated with every man and his dog doing tree work, 90% of which either stay below the threshold or are non tax paying folk. i now have a price hike to contend with. Has those of you that have gone down the vat route found your profits are down ?

I went through that fit a few weeks. Stick it out, it sorts itself out after the first vat period.

Tbh it has got me down a bit, i see what folk are saying about claiming stuff back but as soon as people get a whiff of vat they go elsewhere! few people seem to be bothered about a job being done right and just want it done cheap! i dont wanna be riding allover Saturday mornings looking at work i know i am out priced in! just seems like another kick in the nuts from the uk :thumbdown:

I do believe, that is about what we pay.

Being VAT reg actually increased our turnover long term through commercial work (other VAT reg businesses and organisations)

Ty