USA vs UK

gixer1

I recently moved to the USA and took my UK 365 x-torq with me, I have not used it since is got here but now need to, I found Husqvarna pre-mixed 50:1 fuel here in the US and I was just wondering if it will make a big difference or cause any damage.

There is a big thing here with Husqy/Stihl etc whereby the ethanol in the petrol damages the fuel lines and rubber parts if left in contact with it. I've never noticed this in the UK so just wanted to see if anyone has info on this?

Regards,

Gixer.

I recently moved to the USA and took my UK 365 x-torq with me, I have not used it since is got here but now need to, I found Husqvarna pre-mixed 50:1 fuel here in the US and I was just wondering if it will make a big difference or cause any damage.

There is a big thing here with Husqy/Stihl etc whereby the ethanol in the petrol damages the fuel lines and rubber parts if left in contact with it. I've never noticed this in the UK so just wanted to see if anyone has info on this?

Regards,

Gixer.

Yes . Have been hearing about it over the last year . We have about 5% ethanol and the US has 10% or more . I have switched to Aspen over here . Ethanol is bad news . With the higher concentrations in the US small engins run much hotter and have been known to melt the pistons . ( saw a program on it )

Edited by Stubby

Hi

I was not happy running my saws on pump fuel mix due to problems with ethanol - usually expensive ones! so a while ago I switched to Husqvarna Power 2 which may be the pre-mixed fuel you refer to - It is blue in colour if thats any help identifying.

If so, then Ive used it for nearly 3 years in my 365 & Husky hedge trimmer no problems & all the benefits.

I assume Aspen is very similar stuff

N

Hi

I was not happy running my saws on pump fuel mix due to problems with ethanol - usually expensive ones! so a while ago I switched to Husqvarna Power 2 which may be the pre-mixed fuel you refer to - It is blue in colour if thats any help identifying.

If so, then Ive used it for nearly 3 years in my 365 & Husky hedge trimmer no problems & all the benefits.

N

Husky run their saws on Aspen here in the Uk .

Hi

N

Hi N, Does the ethanol problem apply here in France to? *sorry for the de-rail

Hi N, Does the ethanol problem apply here in France to? *sorry for the de-rail

Have a look on your pumps . Over here they are marked ( on the side usually ) E5 . ( 5% ) Anything more than 5% is bad news . A test you can do is put a little water , say 20mm , in the bottom of a plastic water bottle and mark it with a felt pen . Then add some pump fuel to the top . Shake it up and let it settle . You should see a cloudy portion settle at the bottom . If the Cloudy part is now above the line you marked it does contain ethanol .

Edited by Stubby

ass-pen dries up rubber components in the fuel system causing leaks too if previously run on petrol

Its the petrol that has removed the coating from the rubber components . Then the petrol itself keeps them soft until l it finally devolves them . So yes if you have run alot of pump fuel through then it might be wise to change the carb diaphragm and hoses . If you use Aspen from the get go its not an issue as the coating stays on the rubber .

Ok, so I guess I just use the Husqy pre-mix fuel then, thanks for the input people, it's amazing what you don't think of with things like this!

One thing about the Husqy stuff here is its way cheaper to buy, I've bought a 128LDX strimmer and a 125BVX blower/vac here and both were much cheaper than I could get them in the UK when I looked. the only issue is attachments for the strimmer are harder to get here (everytime I search it comes up with FR jones or world of power in the UK)

EDIT - the Husqy pre-mix is ethanol free apparently....

Regards,

Gixer