Why have chainsaws got worse?

Sub Arb ltd

Here to have a rant.

I've had a Makita/Dolmar DCS7901 for 8 years. never missed a beat, always done the job, amazing power to weight (6.2hp to 6.3kg). I want to buy another one but guess what? They don't make them any more, but their newer model of the same displacement (EA7900) is available.... except its heavier, has less power, and will inevitably be worse.

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the same across the board: the MS201t is, frankly awful when compared to the old ms200t. The Husky 540 is ok when it works, but still not as good as the old 200t, and you are not able to adjust the carb settings when it does stop working, meaning a trip to your nearest retailer to have it re-tuned.

Getting the idea now? Well here's some other examples:

MS362 - gutless when compared to the MS361.

MS661 - You can't adjust the carb so it loses to the MS660. Also feels cheaper and looks worse.

MS880 - The old 084 was better balanced, cut quicker, had an auxiliary oil pump, and was just better.

Husky 576 - Anyone who used the old 281 knows what i'm talking about.

The whole Stihl 4 mix series of hedge trimmers - don't even get me started.

Now call me old fashioned, but newer should really mean better....stop me if i'm wrong. Not a cheaper, more plastic, crappier version of what we already had. In the past 5 years we seem to have been inundated in this industry with updates that have been worse, not better. Am I just being a dinosaur here, or does anyone else agree?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Profit is what's driving it.

I've just been working on my Stihl 076 and I have to say the build quality is bloody awesome. Everything is metal and held together with bolts. Yes it's heavy but it has lasted many many years.

These big companies exist to make a profit and they will cut manufacturing costs to do it.

In the long run their reputation can suffer, but chief execs often take a shorter term view - big profits today, then I move to another company and further enhance my reputation.

Yes, another cynical comment from an old git who has worked (and been exploited) in some very big companies.

Don't kid yourselves the guys at the top give one iota if your saw melts shorthly after the warranty expires. They don't anymore.

Usual moaning blather if I'm honest, emissions have choked a few models but generally saws are faster, lighter, less vibe than years ago.

All large companies have shareholders to whom they answer but the engineers, technicians, and yes, the bosses want to produce a product that everyone uses and loves.

Do you not think in Sweden somewhere when they saw the problems of the early 201 they thought

"What a great time to bring the 540 out!" years of planning and testing to finally break the monopoly of Stihl in the pro topper market.

We're lucky to have two manufacturers ding donging it out between them which keeps the standard up.

They love what they do and do their best the same as we do.

Sorry for not being cynical.

No doubt a lot of people in the companies want to do the best but the ultimate decisions are made higher up. There IS a reason why a lot of newer stuff is poor quality.

Guess we just have different views.

Profit is what's driving it.

I've just been working on my Stihl 076 and I have to say the build quality is bloody awesome. Everything is metal and held together with bolts. Yes it's heavy but it has lasted many many years.

These big companies exist to make a profit and they will cut manufacturing costs to do it.

In the long run their reputation can suffer, but chief execs often take a shorter term view - big profits today, then I move to another company and further enhance my reputation.

Yes, another cynical comment from an old git who has worked (and been exploited) in some very big companies.

Don't kid yourselves the guys at the top give one iota if your saw melts shorthly after the warranty expires. They don't anymore.

I have many of the all-metal Stihl chainsaws and have worked on a great deal more, but I wouldn't want to use them day in day out. Vibration is terrible, and the noise is deafening.

But do you think we would be able to purchase saws of that build quality for the prices we pay now? In the 70's the saws retailed at 1/10 of the price of a good car! When the 051/075 was first launched, it was the same price as two cars, or enough money to pay a deposit on a house.

No doubt about the cost when new. The OP was asking whether new saws are lower quality than the old ones.

They aren't lower quality, more thought, design and time goes into new models than the previous models, but shaving a gram here and there makes parts less robust.

Carburettors will always have problems, but they always have too, just people didn't have the internet to bleat about it on.