New way to tie the Apline Butterlfy Knot?

knot rigger

I may have discovered (invented?) a new way to tie an Alpine Butterfly.

I feel it has some advantages over the traditional two methods:

1) speed

2) can easily be tied with lots of rope weight below you

3) easier to form large loops

Has anyone seed this method before?

Anyone have any critiques or other thoughts about this method?

Any suggestions as to what to name this method (if it does prove to be original?)

thanks

andy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Adam Bourne

I knew that I couldn't have invented such an elegant way of tying such a popular knot, it had to have been discovered before.

I'm glad I posted here, and discovered you.

Can you tell me anything more about this method of tying the butterfly? Did you "invent" it? Or learn it from someone else? Got a name for it?

I have posted it now if a few different forums, arborist, rope access, sport climbing, etc. In the interest of perhaps popularizing such a useful method, but also to learn who may deserve credit for originating it.

thanks

andy

I may have discovered (invented?) a new way to tie an Alpine Butterfly.

I feel it has some advantages over the traditional two methods:

1) speed

2) can easily be tied with lots of rope weight below you

3) easier to form large loops

Has anyone seed this method before?

Anyone have any critiques or other thoughts about this method?

Any suggestions as to what to name this method (if it does prove to be original?)

thanks

andy

Slick, but not new. Te key is to start with the left hand thumb down, palm away, and the right thumb up palm away. What I like is that 0.11 it is possible to let go completely with right hand, relying on left hadn grip to hold a loop. I would then tend to toss the loop over the back of the left hand and pick it up behind with the right hand. Then twisting the right to the palm-up position presents the opening for the loop to be passed through. Could be really useful for a vertical rope under load, thanks.

Hi Adam Bourne

I knew that I couldn't have invented such an elegant way of tying such a popular knot, it had to have been discovered before.

I'm glad I posted here, and discovered you.

Can you tell me anything more about this method of tying the butterfly? Did you "invent" it? Or learn it from someone else? Got a name for it?

I have posted it now if a few different forums, arborist, rope access, sport climbing, etc. In the interest of perhaps popularizing such a useful method, but also to learn who may deserve credit for originating it.

thanks

andy

It's been about a lot of years mate, I remember my old man and his mate mesmerising me with a bowline quick tie. That was cool. I was shown this by a climber back in 98 at one of the Arb shows. Then I mesmerised my dad with it. Great for those cold hand moments.

As for the history of it I couldn't tell you mate. Name? Just another way to tie an alpine :D sorry I can't help anymore mate. But well discovered :)

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I'm not an arborist, I'm an acrobatic rigger in las Vegas. I have a professional interest in knots, I work with them every day, as you do. On top of that, I admit it, I'm something of a knot nerd.

I've posted this method of the butterfly a few different places, and so far, you fellas are the only ones who have seen it before. Arborists it the UK. If anyone can tell me more about how common this method is in youre community, I would appreciate it. If any can tell me where it originates, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Adam, I love your story about impressing your dad with this method, I relate. I love collecting new and better ways of tying knots, and impressing others with them is certainly one very real motivation! Thanks for sharing, and letting me know that this method is know at least as far back as 98.

Cheers

Andy

The method has been around in the mountaineering world for a long time. Its a good method to use with gloved hands. As for who invented it.....like many knots I am not sure anyone is credited with the method.

Your job sounds interesting. Perhaps you have some knots you can share with us that we had not thought of using?