simons

• 1 month later...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard no complaints about the saw head and blade guides side of things (looks a very tidy setup). The jack legs, log supports and clamps/dogs can get upset when big gnarly bits of UK Oak are loaded on. If you are thinking of regularly milling 3ft logs, then it might not be tough enough long term?

I bet it's great for smooth and tidy medium sized timber.....

Input from Big J may have changed my mind.

I've been looking at Logosol's spring campaign, selling the HD36 for just over £7k, with "complete hydraulic package" for £4570, total £11690 plus VAT. Too good to be true? Yes, apparently the wording and picture in the advert (still live on website) are wrong, and the total for the spec advertised is over £18k. Same attachments with a woodmizer lt20 only a touch more expensive, about £19.5K, and a sturdier looking machine. The Lt40 is £25K, which is a bit more expesive again, but by all accounts a workhorse. My options are probably fully manual HD36, or fully hydraulic Lt20, maybe even the lt40. Kind of in limbo. The lt40 might even produce more timber than I can sell, giving me a little extra time to turn timber into more profitable items?

Wills-mill, are you speaking from experience that prolonged milling of 3 foot oak may be too much to ask of the HD36? As 2-3 foot oak will probably be my preference. However, you would definitely need the hydraulics to regularly handle logs that size, and it may simply not be worth the investment, pointing to woodmizer again?

Or is it a bit of the emperors new clothes? A woodmizer rep told me that while the HD36 looks very similar to the Lt40, the "quality is compromised". Is it really? or is there a bit of a unjustified prejudice in favour of woodmizer?

Do you have a forwarding triailer ? You could keep it simple then and carefully lift logs on to a basic mill, and possibly turn heavy wood when needed although I've never had to do that, just put up the dogs and roll with a Kant hook.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1432290392.240428.jpg.4d10526154f27dd80c0094c04c30604c.jpg

Should have added that the hd36 at just over £18k wouldn't include a trailer, and only has one roller toe board, but the quoted woodmizers would be mobile and have 2 toe boards. So if you add a trailer that's another £1580, and another toe board for £910 making the HD36 more expensive than a Lt20 at about £20640.

But I really like norwood's policy of being able to start basic and build up. £7k for a pretty nice looking mill that you can add to when budget allows is a winner.

The basic manual versions of woodmizer mills include setworks and a power feed/sawhead, so the static lt20 comes in at £12800 from memory, and the lt40 just under £20k.

So it looks like norwood mills cost less, but the hydraulics cost more. and from what Big J and Wills-mills say if you want full hyrdraulic options wm may be better. From other comments it seems if you want a manual mill and don't regularly mill large stuff/hardwood the HD36 would be fantastic.