broken stud repair

dig-dug-dan

One of the exhaust mounting bolts sheared on one of my kubota engines, just out of warranty (I think a hirer smashed a digger into the side of the exhaust).

The stud broke off, and I had to remove the engine to drill it out. Problem is, in doing so its knackered the thread, just wondering if any of you guys have tried this liquid metal stuff with good results. I would helicoil it, but have put the engine back in for now to get the machine back out on hire, as its removal is an hours job each way. Its an air cooled oc95

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sod helicoils if you have ever used a Wurth Timesert kit you would lauch helicoils far far away :) there a solid type insert very easy to use and IMHO far better than a Helicoil

Re your stud your only otion for an exhaust stud is to either drill and tap oversize or use an insert to rectify it is the flange blind or could you drill through and nut and bolt ?

I spend a good amount of my time sorting studs out most awkward to date was on an Audi RS6 twin turbo with the engine and manifold still in the car (trust me no no room ! )

The trouble with a thread inserts is going to be getting it lined up, when you go off centre drilling a stud out you invariably "egg" the hole and the thread insert drill ends up off centre then you have to start slotting the manifold holes.

Top tip

Leave the manifold on and drill through the manifold hole to true things up as best as can be.

Usually if the hole gets too out of shape to fit a helicoil then fitting a thicker walled insert is a good option.

I have used Keysert, Ezlok and time sert - the key sert has a way of locking the insert in by driving in four hardened pins that are part of the insert - verystrong.

I put all inserts in with Locktite 270 - once it is in, it aint coming out again:thumbup: