Trailer brake problem... Help!

njc110381

I'm having some issues with the brakes on my Wessex trailer. It's a single axle 8x5, 1300kg model. Every time I reverse, the brakes lock on and won't release when I try to drive forwards again. I had to back the brakes off and drag it home the other day so have replaced the pads and adjusted the mechanism up to how it should be (I think). It now handles perfectly and I thought I'd sorted it, but then when I tried to pull it off the drive this morning they locked on again. It only happens after reversing it when heavy or up hill. If I roll back without forcing the reverse mechanism to disengage it's fine.

I can get them to release again by getting out, unhitching and twisting the hitch. It's almost like the hitch is pushing in too far and getting stuck on something.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing it? The mechanism is well greased and always has been and I don't use it that much so wouldn't think it's worn out? I need to take it on a 3 hour drive next weekend so could do with knowing what it is. Although I'll be on the motorway most of the way and probably won't need to reverse, something is clearly wrong and I'd rather get it sorted. I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions!

I've had the whole drum assembly apart. Cleaned it and readjusted to spec. I'm pretty sure that should be running smoothly. Hitch pole sounds more likely I think but not sure how I would have bent it as it rarely carries much weight?

The auto reverse works ok. The brakes release to go back but then the hitch seems to jam in the pushed in position (the gaiter is crushed right up) so even when the pads return to the forward position the hitch is loading the brake. It doesn't feel like a bent sticking though. It's like the clunk of releasing a ratchet strap when I wiggle it and it pops back out. There's very little friction.

There's a little rubber bush on a bolt at the back end of the hitch assembly. It looks a bit mangled. Is it possible that it should be stopping the pole at a certain point but now isn't?

Thanks for your suggestions so far.:thumbup1:

bent hitch i had same problems and stripped it out and had it pressed straight again works ok now

how i bent mine was driving down a very steep grass bank with a heavy loaded trailer and with it being a pin hitch something had to give because the trailer was still up the bank and the jeep was level so the slide tube bent slightly causing the brakes to stick on etc etc

I'm having some issues with the brakes on my Wessex trailer. It's a single axle 8x5, 1300kg model. Every time I reverse, the brakes lock on and won't release when I try to drive forwards again. I had to back the brakes off and drag it home the other day so have replaced the pads and adjusted the mechanism up to how it should be (I think). It now handles perfectly and I thought I'd sorted it, but then when I tried to pull it off the drive this morning they locked on again. It only happens after reversing it when heavy or up hill. If I roll back without forcing the reverse mechanism to disengage it's fine.

I can get them to release again by getting out, unhitching and twisting the hitch. It's almost like the hitch is pushing in too far and getting stuck on something.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing it? The mechanism is well greased and always has been and I don't use it that much so wouldn't think it's worn out? I need to take it on a 3 hour drive next weekend so could do with knowing what it is. Although I'll be on the motorway most of the way and probably won't need to reverse, something is clearly wrong and I'd rather get it sorted. I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions!

your problem sounds like the same trouble i was having and it was the brake cable sticking intermittently so was difficult to diagnose

but we found a way to test it was to strip the wheel we thought was the issue (mine was a 4 wheel 2.7 t ifor williams) leaving the braking mech together and using the hand brake fully on to see what was the problem i have new cables now there not to expensive and you do have to replace them if there sticking as freeing them up doesn't work you maybe able to free them for a short period but they will stick again quite quickly

I would second the brake cables. I had a new ifor 3500kg trailer and the cables were replaced on a service after 5 years. The reason being they are crap and have very thin plastic covering which chips of from stones thrown up from the 4x4. The salt gets in and cables start to bind up. They are about £20 a cable. If you skimp on them I have found to my cost the drum over heats taking the bearing shoes and drum.

This may well not be your problem but if in doubt rip them out its cheaper in the long run.

Everything else can be checked by pushing and pulling.