CIS cards in Arb...

18 stoner

Ive had a few occasions of sub contracting to builders, and each time at the point of payment they ring up asking for my CIS number.

After explaining that being in Arb/Forestry we are exempt from this taxation at source, and usually get paid ok.

Upon doing works for another builder recently, the usual happened, and this spurred me to try and find some type of exemption form, or code that could be supplied to builders along with invoice to overcome this continuous problem.

Upon speaking to my accountant, they say if we are carrying out tree works while building is being carried out, we do need a CIS card, so best to speak to the tax office in person to clarify the particulars! Always on a friday night eh!

Anyone else heard anything else of this?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the work is routine maintenance work, like hedge trimming for instance, then its exempt. If the work is specifically related to the construction work, then its not exempt.

It all depends how you word the invoice...............

I recently had to call the CIS help line. They said if the tree work is for the wider scheme of buildign house then it comes with CIS (not exempt)

I had always got away with it through certain wording of invoices (arboriculture not site clearance) but a recent job I did they just taxed me 30%. Not the end of the world as the money come off my tax bill but if I had worded the invoice differenty and seperated the machinery hire/use then they could only tax me from the labour part of it. I want to keep working on this site so will get my self CIS, do better invoice and let them have 20%. Plus my rates will go up by erm 20% should do it!

Site clearence is cis ( to allow for building ) amenity work is except.

Thats true but I thought tree surgery was exempt but apparently if the tree surgery is for the purpose of construction i.e. on a site where construction is being carried out then its all CIS.

Only after the house is sold can you then go back and do tree surgery and it becomes private tree work.

Thats true but I thought tree surgery was exempt but apparently if the tree surgery is for the purpose of construction i.e. on a site where construction is being carried out then its all CIS.

Only after the house is sold can you then go back and do tree surgery and it becomes private tree work.

The way my better half interpreted the regs was that if the trees were being felled to allow for development then yes its cis. If its felling dead trees/tidying up messy ones outside of the footprint/rpa then it the work is amenity work and not cis, even if the building is still in progress. Either way if you work for builders, even just now and again a cis card is woth getting and just load the quote to allow for it if you feel you need to.