Favour for a freind, did i do the right thing.

WoodMouse

So a freind asks me if i could help clear up some snapped out stems from a line of dwarf conifers in her grannys garden, Aunt will be therre to supervise.

So, on ariving i can see that theres 6 laylandi spaced over 40 ft across the back of the garden, each one is currently about 50-60 ft high, but they'd all been topped at about 10ft, and from there upwards was just a confusded mess of competing leaders. Hence why they snapped out so many bits.

"my dwarf conifers have never been topped she said", well anyways. She wanted them topped again to about 25ft. I did explain how it doesn't fix the issue and will create a more dangerous situation in the long run. So i removed all the snapped out, broken and dead pieces. Dragged them out of other peoples fences etc. Removed most of the competing tops, leaving the thickest main leader to hopefully grow normally again and walked away. Everythings FOC, and my freind still swears at me.

What do you think?

Personally I`d have just topped the lot. I sounds like you are exposing stems to wind that are not used to it. The increased oscillation will very likely mean they will fail at some point, if I`ve read your post right..

The trees 50 ft, ive removed the tips from arround the main leader where the branches return to lateral growth, this was about 25 ft up. I think i left plenty on the base so the root plate isn't destablised.

Your friend took advantage, you have done a sterling job. My advice would be don't do it again. Charity when its genuine is ok but, they were just tight and lied.

They should've had them dropped to the floor. Lots of people out there now wanting a quick fix then neglect them to repeat the cycle and though its beyond them to do it. They don't want to pay.

Edited by Goaty

Your friend took advantage, you have done a sterling job. My advice would be don't do it again. Charity when its genuine is ok but, they were just tight and lied.

Thanks Goaty, thats how i feel if i'm honest. And thats why i walked away. Business is in it's infancy. And thanks for your reply alincoll.

I gave them a joke of a price for removal, but they have sentimental value to the owner as they were planted when their partner was alive.

The trees 50 ft, ive removed the tips from arround the main leader where the branches return to lateral growth, this was about 25 ft up. I think i left plenty on the base so the root plate isn't destablised.

Well, it`s not what I`d choose but if they`re happy then job done :biggrin:. Conifers that are repeatedly topped and left for ages always end up unmanageable in the end. As long as you havn`t left over exposed tops then all else is aesthetic.

My friend at the shop says, "The bloke who does favours is on holiday and the one who lends tools has gone with him." My mate always pays me a bottle of whiskey if I do him a job that would cost him otherwise it would go in my pocket and get wasted :D

I have a rule of thumb that always works for me. If someone wants me to look at a job, friend or family that is, Sometimes I'll offer to do it for nowt but a cup of tea and a biscuit, or they'll pay the full professional rate. I feel invigorated and it gives me pleasure when I do a job for absolutely nothing for someone in my time and at my pace. I feel satisfied when someone pays me the right money to do the job.

I feel awful working cheap so I don't do it.