Tool-less chain tensioner? Design fault!

dga3240

Chain regularly slackens on a new Husqvarna 450 with tool-less chain tensioner. I've done a search on here but can't find any references. I can't believe no one has had this problem!

I bought the saw new in August last year but only got to give it some serious work lately. I am cutting birch logs that were felled in January 2013 and stored outside under a sheet since. The logs are up to 20 inches in diameter.

My problem is that the chain keeps slackening. I am using the tensioner as directed in the user manual and, yes, I do lift the tip of the blade. The chain often needs re-tensioning after cutting only two or three rings from a large log. I tighten the chain tensioner knob as tightly as I can and I am no weakling. I am a farmer but reasonably competent with chain saws.

I've done a Google and I understand this arrangement for tightening the chain is used on the Stihl and some other saws. The chain becoming slack after just a few minutes is not an unknown problem and it is well documented on-line. But then others don't seem to have the problem.

Any thoughts? I am seriously considering returning this saw as "not fit for purpose" and informing Trading Standards. In my opinion, Husqvarna have slipped up badly with this design.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not getting on with the tooless brake, change it for the non tooless brake part no. 544097901, you can then have a 13mm nut which can be done a lot tighter, you need to check the machine is oiling the chain correctlt as it could be the chain stretching.

The chain is the original, came with the saw. Yes, I'll accept that a new chain stretches, but this is ridiculous! The saw has now done a fair bit of work. I would accept the stretch explanation if there weren't so many similar complaints on Google.

Don't know how officially measure logs but I now have at least four stacks of logs each about 15ft x 4ft x 5ft. My last saw was a Husqvarna 350 and I got through several chains with that but never had this problem before.

Thanks for the tip about the replacement part. I'll check that out.

That knob must apply the torque equivalent to using a 30mm long spanner! Crazy!

Just found a site with a lot of reviews of these saws. Several complaints about the tool-less chain tightening, one suggesting that the chain supplied is cr*p and stretches, so maybe it does! Seems an awful lot of stretch though as it has been doing it all the time I've used it.

I have a 345e 2007, it started to drip chain oil from the machine and was not oiling the chain properly(easy fix, you tube it) . Is your saw throwing oil from the chain when you run it? Check the bar is not worn where the "peg" locates and the peg is not worn. Is the nut staying tight when you us the saw? Check the thread on stud and nut?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app