Firewood Processor & Storage Insurance

David10

Hi, this is my first post after been watching over for sometime. Im mainly in landscaping and looking to start doing firewood in the winter when we are quite I get the impression theres not much money in firewood but im just looking to keep the wheels turning and cover the wages. Anyway...

I have bought my processor and currently looking for a site for my new venture and in getting things set up I need to get Employers Liability insurance for the processor etc but my current provider wont cover me can anyone recommend one?

Second of all, do you insure the firewood itself? surely if I build up a stock of say 5 grands worth I should insure it against fire? The insurance company I spoke to said they didn't think this would be possible unless it was stored in a metal building? but I am looking for a hay barn or something similar that is vented.

Thanks in advance for any assistance :001_smile:

First of all try Trust 01604 492644 they can help with all insurance and are very reliable. Yes you can insure firewood but of course it will cost. Have you worked out your costings of employing someone to process and sell your wood? Are you buying the timber in? I ask this as firewood on a small scale and employing someone to do it really doesn't make much if any money when you work out all the costings. Good luck anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi. Welcome to the site.

I use NFU Insurance, they should be able to help. 2 policies, one for the building, another for the stock, machinery and Employers Liability etc.

At the end of the day processing it yourself if you are employed by the company you will need need Employers Liability Insurance.

When I see the prices some are going out at and look at the cost of site rent, cord, processing,storage and possible planning permission issues it would make more sense to buy in kiln dried from abroad by the container load rather than employ someone unless you are already employing and need to find them something to do. The object if the exercise is to make money not be a busy fool.

A

Hi, yes I know exactly what you mean by being a busy fool and I have learnt my lessons in the past :/ . I already have a few guys working for me and we are busy most of the year with grass cutting etc. but November to March its a bit quitter as nothing is growing so its really just to give to keep the guys busy and as long as it kept things ticking over and covered there wages I would be happy. With regards to site im looking for a premise anyway so it would just add on. I would be buying the wood in as we don't do much tree work.

Its the only thing I can think of to fill the gap over winter, if we get bad weather its fine as we get a lot of fencing etc. but last winter they spent a lot if time just tidying the place up and I no money was coming in.

Its also handy that you can do it under cover so it dosnt matter what the weathers like.

I have researched this a lot and I understand its difficult to make money at this game especially when having to buy it in from what iv read it needs to be a very efficient setup minimising time. And as I said if it keeps them busy and covers the outgoings then that's all I need.

The only thing im not to sure about is to store the logs in a barn or in IBC crates I think the barn would be more efficient instead of messing around moving cubes and tipping them as I plan to just use a loader and shovel them into trailer. but im worried they might get mouldy in the barn as the circulation wont be as good as using the crates.

Logs are hard work, but can give you a wage.

Dependant on where you are in the UK, another way of making money Nov - March is salt spreading. You can get a 'snowex' (or whatever it's called) spreader that fits on th eback of a transit/ hilux etc. then just drive round private factories and private carparks etc spreading salt. Downside is - most of it is night work. And only if its cold.

A lot of people are getting into this round my way

I bought a lot of gear for winter work i.e bike plough gritter and salt, after it was bad couple of years ago and the last 2 winters haven't been that bad so sold most of it and was stuck with a load of salt for ages so decieded to give it a miss.

Also with this work as you mentioned at night I can see it now having problems with staff and itll end up being me working all night and day so I have considered it :P

With regards to LogsnStuffs comment, there are only 2 people currently involved in firewood in my area and one is retired so its not as crowded as some places and believe me grass cuttings no easy ride, its probably the worst for part timers. The weathers nice all the retired out looking for a bit of beer money so I know all to well that its tough. I don't want to step on anyones toes but at the end of the day I have a business to run and I need to make ends meet . If I lay my staff off over winter they'll just get jobs else where