Tender forms

Gray git

Got some LPA tender forms too fill in. We have done all the h & s stuff insurance, qualifications, method statement etc and got the :thumbup: to carry out work for them but got a form asking for prices, not entirely sure if this is a binding pricing structure or just too give the council an idea about what it'll cost to do stuff.

Some speks include remove major branch girth exceeding 0.6m, surly not inline with bs3998?

Fell tree girth exceeding 0.3m but less than 1m.

Fell tree girth exceeding 3m, not sure if many this big in North Yorkshire

Working in restricted area(whatever this is) to selectively prune tree girth exceeding 0.3 but less than 1m

Remove arisings from felling tree girth exceeding 1m but less than 3m.

Anyone ells had these to do and how can you work a price out with so many variations available to tree species, location, structure, etc.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

• 3 weeks later...
You can ask for clarification, most will have a procurement officer or a process in which you can ask this type of question.

I contacted the tree officer for some clarification on these questions but they were no help as they didn't understand the questions themselves as obviously a form copied of the net someplace so put in a bit of a disclaimer at the bottom of the form stating that the prices were a guide only and each job would need pricing on its own merit due to trees being so a diverse and location and safety issues being to varied to be covered under a single price.

Must have been ok as got some to price next week for them that is logistically quite complicated.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

They were asking for a schedule of rates for other works that you may be in line for at some other point in the future.

The idea is that they put some works out for tender, and if you include a schedule of rates they can then compare possible additional works between you and the other tender submitters.

It can be used to either differentiate between you and a similar competitor for the original job, or simply give them an idea of your usual rates on specific tasks, and if those jobs come up while you are in the process of completing your original tender, then you will be given the work at the rate identified on the schedule - without the work being offered out to anyone else on a new tender.

So... its a good thing to have a really educated consideration of your standard schedule of rates as 1. you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot pricing too low, and 2. you don't want to over price as this could be a consideration in the original tender.

If nothing else - it will help you price other jobs if you have a schedule that you can refer to regularly.

But how do you put a price on, remove tree more than 8m but less than 12m?

Can it be felled/dismantled or require a mewp.

Is it a single stem spruce that will only half fill the truck or an old oak with a 10m crown spread that will require a hyab to remove the 6 ton of timber.

Roads, footpaths, traffic management.

All this can turn a simple half day for two into a big task requiring thousands of pounds of hired in equipment more staff and several days from the same vague speck.

It's just the law of averages and the idea that they will become a high volume client.

You may lose on one job but make 35% on the next 5 or whatever.

If you become the go to guy for the council, you will not be short changed. It's up to your ability to price well that will get you in that position.

Not when they have there own men to do the simple stuff and the things that go out to contractors are the head scratches or the ones that will cost a fortune should they go wrong so law of averages is slightly tilted against you working on that theory. Plus this is the council that can not see the problem with leaving a stone dead birch standing for nearly two years in the middle of a public park where people frequently pick nick or play.

Anyway got a site meeting with the T O next week so will quiz him on the relevance of it all again.

My gut feeling was it was a paper pushing project to help justify keeping there own staff on as being cost affective for small maintenance works.

A paper pushing exercise - never!

You are probably right about it being a way for the council to justify keeping on their own staff. I hadn't considered it from that perspective.

I have been called back to complete other works after I submitted my schedule, for the local councils and the FC. It is hard work to get it right, but I think its worth it.

You could write a caveat on them something like, "I reserve the right to reprice in XYZ situation" - Im sure you could come up with something suitable.