Think beyond next winter!

Llenya

Inspired by an earlier thread regarding the future of firewood sales in the UK, I wonder if there is a tendency here for firewood merchants to dwell only on Winter to Winter sales; hoping that they have enough firewood to meet their local supply demand for the incoming winter?

I would be interested in the views of suppliers/wholesalers who look forward, say 5 years or more, to having enough split firewood, either seasoned or kiln dried, to be able to remain in the market.

My own view is that governments will eventually bring in enough legislation (probably forced by Brussels), to exclude most of the contributers to this website!

My belief is:- We are a sideline to these government issues which seem to somehow enforce legislation upon us. We will only last so long before conglamorates dictate how we operate. Yes, I feel our days are numbered and so we should appreciate what we have at the moment.

Is it time that we should "look after ourselves for 'at least' the next five years?

Food for thought.

Stephen

Grow and Harvest whilst you can. I am:blushing:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a fickle game for most of us we take it as it comes.

1. As long as we have enough health we can do it.

2. Its fashionable to burn wood at present so demand is there.

3. As its not the main income source for many, we do not worry about running out. Thats up to the customer to get it whilst its there.

4. `Depends on getting enough hardwood felling jobs to supply the firewood.

5. Once the suit boys interfere and spoil it many will just forget it and do something else without the hassle.

6. Our climate is not suitable for storing firewood longer term, too much fungal activity. Unless you have large covered areas.

7. Biomass and greedy large operators are grabbing what they can and taking advantage of their power and subsidies, strangling the smaller and more often ethical/moral/environmentally aware operators out of the industry.

So I live from year to year. Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes, as someone once said.

Goaty, you certainly seem have a handle on the situation. I give you Kudos!

However, I get the feeling that most contributers to this firewood forum feel that the unregulated firewood system, they enjoy, will continue...

What happens when they spend BIG money on processing machines and then find that one law change can put them out of business.

I spent 2 yrs on a biomass project [Yes 2 yrs just on paperwork and logistical research, including visits to Finland, -France - and other countries] which was about to take off at a cost of 3.5 million UK pounds....but....I saw signs that Spain were about to pull the plug on Biomass grants....so I held back! Thank GOoDness I did. I would have lost a furtune because of some Civil Servant's ineptitude at handling previous governmental promises!

My interest at the moment is firewood. However, I am making a point that it is a 5 year plan and not a "Winter to Winter" thing.

I'm just wondering if this is what other providers think?

Inspired by an earlier thread regarding the future of firewood sales in the UK, I wonder if there is a tendency here for firewood merchants to dwell only on Winter to Winter sales; hoping that they have enough firewood to meet their local supply demand for the incoming winter?

I would be interested in the views of suppliers/wholesalers who look forward, say 5 years or more, to having enough split firewood, either seasoned or kiln dried, to be able to remain in the market.

My own view is that governments will eventually bring in enough legislation (probably forced by Brussels), to exclude most of the contributers to this website!

My belief is:- We are a sideline to these government issues which seem to somehow enforce legislation upon us. We will only last so long before conglamorates dictate how we operate. Yes, I feel our days are numbered and so we should appreciate what we have at the moment.

Is it time that we should "look after ourselves for 'at least' the next five years?

Food for thought.

Stephen

Grow and Harvest whilst you can. I am:blushing:

Just out of interest, how long have you been doing it for?

Goaty, you certainly seem have a handle on the situation. I give you Kudos!

However, I get the feeling that most contributers to this firewood forum feel that the unregulated firewood system, they enjoy, will continue...

What happens when they spend BIG money on processing machines and then find that one law change can put them out of business.

I spent 2 yrs on a biomass project [Yes 2 yrs just on paperwork and logistical research, including visits to Finland, -France - and other countries] which was about to take off at a cost of 3.5 million UK pounds....but....I saw signs that Spain were about to pull the plug on Biomass grants....so I held back! Thank GOoDness I did. I would have lost a furtune because of some Civil Servant's ineptitude at handling previous governmental promises!

My interest at the moment is firewood. However, I am making a point that it is a 5 year plan and not a "Winter to Winter" thing.

I'm just wondering if this is what other providers think?

5 years stock of cord. if ur doing it as ur soul business.........5 x 2000tons x £45 a ton.........£450 000

My belief is:- We are a sideline to these government issues which seem to somehow enforce legislation upon us. We will only last so long before conglamorates dictate how we operate. Yes, I feel our days are numbered and so we should appreciate :

Blimey, did you watch the film 1984 today?

5 years stock of cord. if ur doing it as ur soul business.........5 x 2000tons x £45 a ton.........£450 000

Slasher, how many firewood processors on this site buy more than ... say...100 tonnes at a time?

Just out of interest, how long have you been doing it for?

Oh Dear!, I feel one of these "Judgement Moments" coming on! Are you now going to say " I`ve been cutting trees since before you were born"!!!

I´m only pointing out that since I have spent many thousands of pounds, yes GBPs, on research into Biomass...[mainly wood pellets], I have seen how a slight change in Government policy can completely disrupt a single person's Business Plan.

To answer you question...Since 2005.

Stephen

Oh Dear!, I feel one of these "Judgement Moments" coming on! Are you now going to say " I`ve been cutting trees since before you were born"!!!

I´m only pointing out that since I have spent many thousands of pounds, yes GBPs, on research into Biomass...[mainly wood pellets], I have seen how a slight change in Government policy can completely disrupt a single person's Business Plan.

To answer you question...Since 2005.

Stephen

I had great little business

Gov't brought in legislation -I thought it would make little difference

Had to do govt six monthly return, rang govt advisor and she said " have you only allowed a week to fill in this form!"

A week twice a year !.....plus rest of crap

Before I chucked business was spending at east three days a week on crap

Did legislation sort out industry problems .......not in my opinion