Fuel mix help

BeanWoody

Just brought a second hand basic saw to play around with before investing in new gear.

The manual states it runs on a 1:25 mix, but the person I brought it off ran it using a 1:50 mix.

Should I continue using a 1:50 mix or clean out the machine and revert to the manual and use the 1:25 mix?

As long as you use good quality synthetic 2 stroke oil it will run better at 50 : 1 . Don't use the crappy garden center stuff .

Maybe see if you can download teh manual for it and chek what it's meant to run on. Most chaisaws, and all the ones I've had, are 1:50. It might be tempting to err ont eh safe side and use 1:25 but that can be bad for the carb and the timing (I've been told) if it really needs 1:50. Also better to use chainsaw 2 stroke oil, it's designed for faster revving of saws (18,000 rpm) than lawenmowers (?3,000 rpm).

Its an MT-9999, brought it to get used to using a saw before I make the investment into something new, just not sure whether to continue using a 1:50 mix or revert to the suggested 1:25 mix (guessing I will need to clean it out)

There's no reason for it to need cleaning out if you decide to go to 25:1 mix but it might need the mixture screws adjusting and it will smoke more.

Maybe see if you can download teh manual for it and chek what it's meant to run on. Most chaisaws, and all the ones I've had, are 1:50. It might be tempting to err ont eh safe side and use 1:25 but that can be bad for the carb and the timing (I've been told) if it really needs 1:50. Also better to use chainsaw 2 stroke oil, it's designed for faster revving of saws (18,000 rpm) than lawenmowers (?3,000 rpm).

Man.....18,000rpm, thought my saws were fast revving:lol:

It is the oil that dictates the mix and not the saw. Most decent quality oils nowerdays mix at 50:1, there are a few exeptions such as Amsoil at 100:1.

The 25:1 comes from the 1960s - 1980s where the oil was a bit under developed. Run a modern machine on this and it will smoke like beggary and carbon up.

Use decent quality oil and mix to the OILS instructions