Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Business Management Discuss the day to day running of your business here. Discuss accounting, Insurance and staff issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-07-12   #1 (permalink)

Woodchip for smoking

Anyone got any advice for starting up selling oak/apple/beech etc chips for selling in smokers.

What standard? Can I chip em in a chipper and sell like that?

Any ideas?

Cheers Simon

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
Old 21-07-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

Re: Woodchip for smoking

This is an interesting question, the sort of skill and knowledge that is being rapidly lost too.

Im off out in a mo (hatfield house ancient oak woods) but I might suggest looking up italian french methods and also the herring and trout smokers in the Uk

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter — for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

my desire to enlighten, out of love of neighbour
Old 21-07-12   #3 (permalink)

Simon, I cant give you advice on the chips, but I would advise you pay an equal or greater percentage of your focus towards the packaging and marketing. Only way you'd make any money out of a project like this would be to get the superstores on board with it.....packaging is key IMO
Old 21-07-12   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Croft aka hamadryad View Post
This is an interesting question, the sort of skill and knowledge that is being rapidly lost too.

Im off out in a mo (hatfield house ancient oak woods) but I might suggest looking up italian french methods and also the herring and trout smokers in the Uk
Some fantastic trees at Hatfield House aren't there. I'd be interested to what you think of them and their management.

To answer the original question chip up some well seasoned wood and see what comes out. Then try and smoke some wood yourself.

I sold some Oak shavings from the planer/thicknesser to a guy for smoking. He said it worked well but i never got any of the pig.
Old 21-07-12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bullman View Post
Simon, I cant give you advice on the chips, but I would advise you pay an equal or greater percentage of your focus towards the packaging and marketing. Only way you'd make any money out of a project like this would be to get the superstores on board with it.....packaging is key IMO
Or consider online. See Buy Smoking Wood Chips, selling chips at £6.99/450g (that's £15.5k/ton). Be interesting to know how well they do out of it. They're run by Macs BBQ Ltd, who seem to be doing well.

Last edited by Pedroski; 21-07-12 at 01:01 PM..
Old 21-07-12   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bullman View Post
I would second the above, and add that you should keep chip species separate, and sell them "branded". Also, use Google to look up the most suitable wood species for smoking before bagging them. I seem to recall having heard that oak is NOT well suited for smoking.

When selling a product at a high price premium above its "inherent" cost, packaging and marketing is key. This is true whether it is fashion/health products or even technology (Apple comes to mind).
Old 21-07-12   #7 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

I would say getting it rolled in the papers will be a pain.

www.ic-s.org.uk

CHAS approved contractors.
Old 21-07-12   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC TREES View Post
I would say getting it rolled in the papers will be a pain.
Old 21-07-12   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

A lot of the local polish lads keep asking me for Alder to smoke fish with they call by and pick some up and then drop me some rainbow trout off