terms and conditions

John Shutler

at the bottom of every invoice i have this

This invoice is payable upon completion of the works or otherwise within 14 days of the invoice date. I reserve the right to charge interest at 3% per annum above HSBC base rate on any amount owed to me which is over due.

does any one else do this or similar

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Business management is not a strong point of mine (as those who know me will attest!! :P) but does that statement not mean that if they don't pay you within 14 days after completion they can leave it up to a year before you charge them interest???

buissness management not being a strong point of mine either, this is what is put at the bottom of the invoices sent out from the my old mans office. turners solicitors

Urrr, yeah...but the price is agreed for a given job...not some fussy so-n-so who then stretches his credit by using up yours so to speak. Its always good to send a quote and proceed from an acceptance of this quote imo...cover your a***....remember, they havent paid you as yet but you have completed. You are the loser if it all turns sour!

the reason i say this is that recently i was asked to fell severall trees on a property, this was a large house with the name of the owners company displayed at the end of the drive. i was asked to fell about 12 trees in varying states of health. halfway into the job i was approached by a man who told me he was the owner of the house having bought it off the occupant 5 years previously and that i was to halt work immediately.i decided to approach the "owner" and bill her for the works i had carried out. although there was no written contract i was assured confidently that if it were to go to a small claims court i would get my money and any that was owed to me after the 14 day period

my mrs just sends out the quotes with "payment due on completion" yellow highlighted at the bottom.if domestic i usually pick up the cheque/cash before i leave,commercial she rings and e-mails and quite often collects in person usually within the same working week,she's a business accountant by trade so i suppose old habits die hard and i'm lucky to have her,but don't tell her i said that:blushing: