Try to keep it simple?

conkers

Just come off the thread about towing trailers, chippers etc..

Seems there is some shared feeling about what a mind field running a small company is. Towing laws being an example.

I used to employ two full time and two part time. Turnover about 120k per annum with a landscape side as well.

Now there is just two of us and the other chap has become self employed.

The reason for this- My profits were crippled by trying to keep up with legislation, insurance on top of all the day to day stuff.

I was running about chasing my tail and loosing money.

Now we both earn a living. Tree side more profitable around here because there are so many landscapers doing it for a pittence while holding down other jobs.

My point is- How can companies grow in rural areas if the powers that be are trying to turn us all into tax collecters-accountants- and general paper pushers!

We just want to work in our chosen trade- pay fair tax and grow our companies modestly.

If everybody said no to their meddling then they have to listen to the majority.

The only winners are the guys with a van, a mobile phone, and no fixed address. No predjudice implied!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO,you are spot on conker!!!! :icon14:

I did just as you have,I had 3 sometimes 4 staff, had to pay for extra advertising to get enough work,extra gear to buy and maintain.I spent much of my time looking at work and doing paper work:thumbsdown:I had to price work to make sure I got it,as I needed the work.

I cut back to one full time groundie and a extra man as and when needed,I now have less hassle,more money,I can price work to make good money,not just to pay lads wages,spend more of my time climbing trees:icon14:best move I ever made:wave:

Especially coming up to summer when it semms every shift worker in the area is also a trained Tree surgeon !!!!:cussing:

Yes that pisses me off too, we have a few of them round here that have a job and then take work from us full time Tree Surgeons in their spare time, being able to charge what they like because it is spending money to them.

What will sort the men out from the boys, is when these so called Tree Surgeons have a "close call" going beyond their abilities.

Going into Tree Work requires dedication, training and experience. Otherwise eventually you are going to get bitten. There will be many on here who can tell a tale of near death experiences and they will be fully trained and fully experienced.

Rant over

Yes that pisses me off too, we have a few of them round here that have a job and then take work from us full time Tree Surgeons in their spare time, being able to charge what they like because it is spending money to them.

Not what you said here?http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=35098#post35098

Not what you said here?http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=35098#post35098

:proud:

Yes but STS is packing his job in and moving out of the area,

I think he's coming up to live near you.

Further north I think.

The point is Doing tree surgery part time all the time while keeping a full time job is just robbing others of their full time wages.

Plus if you already earn a full time wage you should be paing a right whack out of your tree surgery money which will be fully tax deductable from the first £ you earn.

This sounds like I,m contradicting myself from last post but what would sort the sorry mess out is one training course which all tree companies have to pass.

Sort the pros from the cowboys. A bit like corgi but for us!

Can't carry out work over a certain height without it.

This would bring costs down on insurance etc.

Sounds draconian but if the wider public were made aware the unqualified and un insured would disapear over night!

We would be able to charge the right price for our work and remove all the other nonsence legislation that costs us time and money.:)

I've made the same move as Skyhuck, cut down to me and one ther man, and bring in extra help when needed. I can see a lot of company's doing this over the next few years. I used to have 12 guys working for me, even the memory of it makes me shudder...

:proud:

The point is Doing tree surgery part time all the time while keeping a full time job is just robbing others of their full time wages.

Totally agree!!!!

I wish subie climber would stop helping them by doing there climbing:thumbsdown:

We have one near me who works for BT and has a brand new trany and chipper,and he gets subies in for the climbing:cussing: