BT lines, who is responsible

gibbon

I always thought that it was bt responsibility to maintain clearence of branches around their lines if it causes a problem. I know that they used to clear the lines as wpd still does to their power lines.

I am looking for a definative answer as to whether its the tree owners responsibility to maintain clearence or if its BT Open reach's?.

I'm always being requested to prune branches away as bt now like to say its the tree owners responsibility but this seems to be at odds to the fact that they used to operate their own service iin house.

I feel its unjust for me as a contractor to charge a home owner for a service that I think BT should be providing (ie maintaining their own equipment), and I would like to find some info to back myself up when I want to decline to prune.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need clearance for bt lines, so its no ones responsiblity.

If the lines wear out or get damages by trees then its BT's responsibility to repair or replace them but no one needs to ensure that the damage doesn't occur in the first place.

Its BT's policy to repair within 24 hours so its its no big deal.

You don't need clearance for bt lines, so its no ones responsiblity.

If the lines wear out or get damages by trees then its BT's responsibility to repair or replace them but no one needs to ensure that the damage doesn't occur in the first place.

Its BT's policy to repair within 24 hours so its its no big deal.

This is exactly what I thought, but I need am looking for some literature to back this up.

But what about when there is an interupted supply? BT have a habit of asking "Is there a tree touching the line" then requesting its pruned at the clients expense before they will visit to check their equipment.

its an old pikey con ,they tell the homeowner if your tree damages the bt line bt will charge them thousands to repair :sneaky2: but we can do for a fraction of the cost of repaires madame just £200 nicker please :thumbdown:

Actually it`s £400:blushing:

not that i have ever used that one:blushing:

This is exactly what I thought, but I need am looking for some literature to back this up.

But what about when there is an interupted supply? BT have a habit of asking "Is there a tree touching the line" then requesting its pruned at the clients expense before they will visit to check their equipment.

Thats a good point, and I don't know the answer. I would lie and say there were no trees, once the engineer is there he has to repair the fault. But, I can see that you can't go round telling people that they need to lie!!

The general answer is BT won't clear round lines just to prevent possibel damage. That will never happen. If folk want to ensure there is no damage then they can pay to have tree pruned back, but the best advice is to not worry about and if it stops working then report a fault.