Estimates or Quotes. When to price up?

erbradio

Hi all, first time posting.

Curious to what others do in terms of estimates / quote's?

My question is should I provide a estimate for the potential customer with a price on the spot or should I go straight in with a quote on the spot or drop back in with a price in a day or so after.

Up until now just been looking at jobs then going away and handing back a quote a day or so after...

Sent from my XT1225 using Arbtalk mobile app

I do commercial and local authority work so always send a quote a day after a site visit. I need to make sure I've not over looked anything as my customers would accept estimates - they want a fixed price they can rely on. I may k ow at the end of the visit exactly what I'll be charging but best to stick to my protocol. Obviously a bit in the T and C s about unforseen circumstances but 99.9% of the time I deliver for the price or take a small hit myself.

Interesting, never had issues the way I have been doing things but have had the odd strange look when a price isn't provided instantly. Always had a terrible time in the past underpricing and felt going away from the site can help me go over everything in more detail, looking at pictures taken without added time pressures.

• Like 1

Fyi, I got some advice from Trading Standards on quotes. You shouldn't give a quote in person when you are there, without offering a right to cancel. In case the client feels obliged to say accept your quote. Apparently if you don't offer this they can refuse to pay after the work is done and and you have no legal standing. Best to offer verbal estimate then email or post a quote for them to accept. Hope that helps.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1

Seems I'm already doing what the majority are then. Although I don't get customers to sign or send back anything to me thats just done verbally after a quote provided. Don't know what other people's take on this are with confirmation handling, cut off time's before re-quotes required etc. Thanks all for your comments.