Arb approved

simonm

What sort of criteria do you have to meet to become arb approved? we are only a small 2 full time firm who brings in subbies as and when, neither of us have been to college, we only have ntpc tickets etc.

Everything we know we have learnt from doing the job, we are more than capable of doing a good job and know the correct ways to prune etc, the technical side, pests diseases etc i wouldn't say we know everything but i dont know anyone who does.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go on the Arb Association perpetration workshop. It tells you everything they expect of you before you take the assessment.

It's more about the H&S side than how good you can prune. It is a lot of crossing the T's and dotting the I's. I'm just in the final stages of getting all my stuff up together to go for it. It's taken a lot longer than I thought it would.

Good luck with it

What sort of criteria do you have to meet to become arb approved? we are only a small 2 full time firm who brings in subbies as and when, neither of us have been to college, we only have ntpc tickets etc.

Everything we know we have learnt from doing the job, we are more than capable of doing a good job and know the correct ways to prune etc, the technical side, pests diseases etc i wouldn't say we know everything but i dont know anyone who does.

Hi there, join me at Askham Bryan (York) in July and find out exactly (see Arboricultural Association - Course Detail ) but what you've outlined, provided you've been operating for a min. 2 years, is absolutely fine.

2/3rds of the scheme is made up of smaller businesses now and, overall, about 10% of the scheme are 'sole traders' operating just as you describe.

In terms of the criteria see attached, but, to a greater or lesser extent, and other than HR/employment and financial/accounts stuff, we look at pretty much every other part of the business, both office (or kitchen :001_rolleyes:) based and operational.

Further info here Arboricultural Association - Become an ARB Approved Contractor but do post back, or 'pm', or call me 07971995351.

Cheers fer now,

Paul

Standards-fewer-than-5-employees-2017.doc

Go on the Arb Association perpetration workshop. It tells you everything they expect of you before you take the assessment.

It's more about the H&S side than how good you can prune. It is a lot of crossing the T's and dotting the I's. I'm just in the final stages of getting all my stuff up together to go for it. It's taken a lot longer than I thought it would.

Good luck with it

Thanks for this Jimmy...and look forward to receiving your application for assessment soon :001_rolleyes:

Don't forget you can always "give me a shout" if you're struggling with anything, or just want to chat anything through, but sadly I don't have a bucket called "spare time" to help :blushing:

Cheers again and remember you can always attend another workshop when you're ready to go for assessment just in case you want to do any last minute checks :thumbup1:

Paul

Is there any workshops near Cornwall this year?

Always something I've want to do is be arb approved.

Hmmm, unfortunately not in Cornwall, although I have presented the workshop there previously and happy to do so again via the Branch and IF there was enough interest (min. 6 businesses.)

Otherwise it's Exmouth / Exeter in December see Arboricultural Association - Course Detail or for alternative dates / venues see Arboricultural Association - Course

Cheers fer now..

Paul

How long does it take from start to finish? looks like a lot of stuff to work through.

Simon - take a day off and attend one of the AA workshops. They are free and will give you all the info you need. Whether you end up going through the Arb Approved process afterwards is up to you - however I can guarantee that you will come away from the day benefitting. They explain exactly what they are looking for in an extremely friendly and professional way and you will definitely look at aspects of your operations in a different way afterwards. It'll help you be honest with yourself in terms of any weaknesses in your business model - speak to Paul and get yourself along.

(For the record, I have historically sat on the fence with regards AA Approved Contractor status. The workshop made me realise the real benefits of the scheme, but I have yet to enrol. I definitely benefitted from attending from a business point of view and will undoubtedly go for Arb Approved status at some point in the future. There is no hard sell - I found it a really useful day).